Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Springing Forth

Real Name
    John

Springing Forth

Spotted this scene while finally enjoying what feels like Spring.

Springing ForthSpringing Forth by JOHN, on Flickr

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Springing Forth

Perhaps it is just my eyes and or computer but on my screen the impression is one of way over the top graininess. I'm guessing that it is a shot of the trees with their buds bursting out? I love the concept but it is very hard to look at.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Perhaps it is just my eyes and or computer but on my screen the impression is one of way over the top graininess. I'm guessing that it is a shot of the trees with their buds bursting out? I love the concept but it is very hard to look at.
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for commenting, not sure about the graininess but capturing foliage has always been a challenge for me, seems that light has a tendency to bounce amongst the greenery losing detail. Perhaps the last image in this thread gives a better view.

2018 Print 52 Shadowman P2

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm with Brian on this one John. The "graininess" he refers to looks like over-sharpening to me.

Some parts of images with such fine detail require virtually no sharpening at all. In a lot of my work, water, sky, grass and trees (and skin in portraiture) are parts that I mask out when I sharpen.

Real Name
    John

Good thing about my workflow I can go back to my Capture Sharpening setting and only thing different applied was used radius of 1.0 and amount of 143 in ACR masking at 0, I typically set sharpening to radius 0.5 and may go as high as 150 and usually apply some masking but didn't for this image. I usually do apply different editing methods when foliage is part of the composition.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Good thing about my workflow I can go back to my Capture Sharpening setting and only thing different applied was used radius of 1.0 and amount of 143 in ACR masking at 0, I typically set sharpening to radius 0.5 and may go as high as 150 and usually apply some masking but didn't for this image. I usually do apply different editing methods when foliage is part of the composition.
    If the scale is the same in ACR and LR, 143 is very high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Seems as if you like it pretty sharp, John. Certainly lots of staircase aliasing on the light-colored branches at left (when viewed at 400% nearest neighbor).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Seems as if you like it pretty sharp, John. Certainly lots of staircase aliasing on the light-colored branches at left (when viewed at 400% nearest neighbor).
    I agree with Dan. That setting is quite high for import sharpening. I tend to not go that high even with my for my in-process sharpening.

Import sharpening defaults in ACR / LR are 25% with a radius of 1 for my camera. All you are trying to do at that step is to counteract the effects of the de-mosaicing process in the raw converter and impact of the camera's AA filter (if it has one).

I tend to turn off the sharpening in ACR / LR or use the default setting, depending on the scene. Any scene with serious noise reduction, I don't sharpen at all until I have completed the noise reduction step.