Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wings of Love

Real Name
    John

Wings of Love

I deliberately shot and processed for a stark look.

Wings of LoveWings by JOHN, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Wings of Love

You have achieved what you set out to do. There is certainly no doubt that the shadow is a shadow.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    You have achieved what you set out to do. There is certainly no doubt that the shadow is a shadow.
    Cheers Ole
    Hi Ole,

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    roy

I think I would have laid down to shoot from ground level to remove the background
    roy

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by royent View Post
    I think I would have laid down to shoot from ground level to remove the background
    roy
    Hi Roy,

I did do one shot from knee level pointed upward and was rewarded with a soggy knee. I'll process later and post. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

In my experience, deliberately underexposing an image usually does not work because of the tonal range compression one gets. The shot looks like the photographer has not exposed properly. That happens to be the case here.

Exposing correctly and then pulling down the mid-point detail in post usually produces a superior image as the image then has the full tonal range.

Neither work as well as actually taking the shot at the end of golden hour or better yet at blue hour, because the light is so much better.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    In my experience, deliberately underexposing an image usually does not work because of the tonal range compression one gets. The shot looks like the photographer has not exposed properly. That happens to be the case here.

Exposing correctly and then pulling down the mid-point detail in post usually produces a superior image as the image then has the full tonal range.

Neither work as well as actually taking the shot at the end of golden hour or better yet at blue hour, because the light is so much better.
    I did both, exposed correctly but like this version better as it lends itself to the symbolism of the statues, regarding shooting in better light the cemetery is closed during those golden hours so not an option unless I decide to undertake a bit of drone photography.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    regarding shooting in better light the cemetery is closed during those golden hours so not an option
    That is unfortunately the way things sometimes work. Opening hours and photographic "needs" don't necessarily overlap.