Thread: Good news on the DxO / Nik front

Real Name
    Dave

Good news on the DxO / Nik front

At least so it sounds:

We are very confident that this procedure, which should not last for more than a few more weeks, will not affect our customers in any way. In fact, we are pleased to announce the following upcoming product releases:

• In June, we will release a free update (version 1.2) of our flagship software, DxO PhotoLab. Recently awarded the TIPA 2018 Award for Best Image Processing Software, this latest version of DxO PhotoLab will include improved local correction features, and will add support for 7 cameras, including the Canon EOS 2000D and the Sony A7 III. This release will also be an opportunity for us to reiterate our commitment to the “perpetual license” model (as opposed to a subscription model) that allows our customers to update their products according to their needs, rather than in a constrained manner.
    • In June, we will release the new version of the Nik Software Collection, which DxO acquired from Google at the end of 2017. Much awaited by the Nik software community, this first “by DxO” version focuses on fixing bugs that up until now could disrupt the user experience, as well as on ensuring full compatibility with the latest Mac OS and PC platforms.

Thank you for your understanding and confidence,
    The DxO Team

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Good news on the DxO / Nik front

Oh well. Fingers crossed.

Real Name
    Dan

Here's hoping. Much of the photographic software available has numerous close substitutes, but Nik is an exception.

Real Name
    Dan

I heard they're negotiating with Adobe😂

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I heard they're negotiating with Adobe
    You just like to see some people having heart attacks!

Real Name
    Richard

I am going to purchase a copy and get it in my computer before it goes belly up. Then, even if the company no longer supports and updates it, it will be on my computer, Not like a subscription from Adobe,,,

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am going to purchase a copy and get it in my computer before it goes belly up. Then, even if the company no longer supports and updates it, it will be on my computer, Not like a subscription from Adobe,,,
    Your thoughts on getting the software on your system are somewhat similar to mine regarding the current version, if it ain't broke I'm not going to worry about the upgrade; hopefully my choice lasts me for quite a few years.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Here's hoping. Much of the photographic software available has numerous close substitutes, but Nik is an exception.
    NIK users seem to be very "loyal" for lack of a better term. What is the differentiator? Is it the point masking(I forget the term) technology? Presumably that is somewhat improved since the Capture NX days?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    You just like to see some people having heart attacks!
    Well at least my attempts at humor are being a bit more successful.

Real Name
    John

U Technology or U point I think, I like it but the sliders are a bit sticky when you try to minimize area coverage.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

NIK users seem to be very "loyal" for lack of a better term. What is the differentiator?
    I have it for Silver Efex Pro.

It is a one-off and excellent what it does. The number of professionals writing in journals/magazines who make reference to using SEP2 is tantamount to evidence of how good it is.

Real Name
    Richard

U-Poinr Technology is just one feature (although an important one) of the NIK Software Suite. I have been using NIK since Google purchased that technology. I had coveted the program since I attended a seminar at the original NIK company site in San Diego. However, the technology was far too expensive. They sold the modules individually and had software that integrated with either Lightroom or Photoshop. The modules that integrated with Lightroom were less expensive but, also less capable than those which functioned as Plug-Ins for Photoshop.

I have a hunch that if Adobe had integrated the total NIK package into Photoshop many Photoshop users who look down their noses at NIK would have considered that capability the best thing since sliced bread

I ave purchased the DXO Photo Lab and have it running. All that I have to do now is to learn how to use it. The link that Manfred provided me in an earlier string will be certainly be a great help along those lines. Thank you again Manfred!