Thread: Acorn Caps

Real Name
    André

Acorn Caps

I had picked up these two acorn caps last fall with the intent of photographing them. I finally had the opportunity to get back to photography last week after a very difficult five months that saw the unrelated death of my two brothers.
    I set up the acorns on top of my tablet and used black foam core panels to eliminate unwanted reflections. I would welcome C & C as my recent lack of practice was very apparent to me.

Acorn Caps

André

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Acorn Caps

I think this came out very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed and captured.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm sorry to hear about everything you went through. It sounds like you've had a very tough year.

The shot came out very well, although if it were my shot, I'd be tempted to crop a bit off the right hand side.

Real Name
    Ole

I like it a lot. 20mm off the right hand side should do it in my view.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    André

Thank you Dan. This is my first attempt at focus stacking using Zerene. It wont be last.
    Thanks John.
    Thanks Manfred and Ole. I experimented with different crops. Some worked well, like centered in a 1 x 1, others not good at all. I agree with you both that shaving the right side would result in a marginally better picture but I settled on the 2 x 3 crop because I needed to print at that ratio.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Thank you Dan. This is my first attempt at focus stacking using Zerene. It wont be last.
    This stack worked well.

I don't know which of the two algorithms you used, but they behave quite differently. I prefer DMAP for things like this; it does a better job of preserving color. However, it is also more prone to halos. These typically arise when there is a considerable distance (front to back) between an edge and the surface behind it. In those cases, I typically stack both ways and touch up from the PMAX composite to the DMap in areas with halos.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    This stack worked well.

I don't know which of the two algorithms you used, but they behave quite differently. I prefer DMAP for things like this; it does a better job of preserving color. However, it is also more prone to halos. These typically arise when there is a considerable distance (front to back) between an edge and the surface behind it. In those cases, I typically stack both ways and touch up from the PMAX composite to the DMap in areas with halos.
    I tried both and selected the DMap. It was only a five photo stack and I did not see any artifacts on either stack but the color looked more natural with the DMap.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent image