Thread: Pap of Glencoe

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Pap of Glencoe

Those who know their Scottish history will know that the name Glencoe is unfortunately associated with dastardly deeds. Although the massacre in 1692 was an awful deed, many other families were killed in other deeds around the Highlands in that era. The circumstances surrounding the slaying have led to its noteriety.

This is not in the glen itself, but the other side of the hill.

The hill is one of the Paps of Glencoe

Any comment/critique will be welcomed.

Pap of Glencoe

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Pap of Glencoe

I love the way you handled the sky in this. It really gives the feel of misty/drizzly weather. The composition is nicely balanced though I'm dying to see what that point of land looks like at bottom right. Overall nicely done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Many thanks Dan.

I tried to get a 'mood' into the image and the sky was one way of doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I'm dying to see what that point of land looks like at bottom right.
    I cut it out just before the land ran out a became water again. I felt that if I included a bit of water, I'd have to include a lot and that would have introduced an alternative focus of interest and, indeed, a diversion from the main subject.

Rightly or wrongly that was the thinking, but your comment certainly makes me look at it again.

Real Name
    Rudi

I like this one a lot Donald. Very nice processing, It really keeps me 'in-the-image'.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I cut it out just before the land ran out a became water again. I felt that if I included a bit of water, I'd have to include a lot and that would have introduced an alternative focus of interest and, indeed, a diversion from the main subject. Rightly or wrongly that was the thinking....
    Don't think there is a right or wrong, but the reason behind a certain composition choice is always interesting to know , thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Great feeling.....

I agree with you, Donald. If you show the tip of that spit of land you need the tip to be sufficiently clear of the image edge so it doesn't appear 'cramped'.

That option could work, but you would be going into a totally different scene and requiring an alternative image size ratio, such as 3 x 2 ratio

Real Name
    Dan

A really absorbing and evocative image.

I do see a processing problem, however. There seems to be haloing around parts of the edge where the mountain meets the sky. It's not severe, but it is noticeable in places.

Real Name
    John

Very moody capture.

Real Name
    Brian

For me the hill bottom right that is brightly lit makes the scene.

I have been told that when I bought my Tamron 90mm lens my IQ went way up. Might I suggest that since you began the new mentoring course your shots have moved into an entirely new level of power and emotion.

I'm looking forward to observing your journey.

And just a small aside: Do the people who you are working with work with macro/close-up bugs and flowers type people?

PS: It seems to me you are beginning to transcend the medium. I have seen this same stark power in old wood block prints as well as in paintings. There is a rawness that just makes me want to pull my cloak tighter and find a fire.
    Last edited by JBW; 2nd May 2018 at 01:50 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

I always admire your landscapes, Donald. They make me want to migrate to Scotland just for the weather.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I have been told that when I bought my Tamron 90mm lens my IQ went way up. Might I suggest that since you began the new mentoring course your shots have moved into an entirely new level of power and emotion.
    That is undoubtedly true .... and very happy about it I am.

And just a small aside: Do the people who you are working with work with macro/close-up bugs and flowers type people?
    Yes, Brian. The Societies cover every sort of genre. The vast majority are members of the Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers, but there are lots of people doing wildlife, from very large to very, very small; flowers etc, and photo journalists and travel photographers etc. Have a look at https://thesocieties.net/. My particular society's own web page is - http://sinwp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I always admire your landscapes, Donald. They make me want to migrate to Scotland just for the weather.
    You like rain?

I don't where you are in Australia, but if it is a climate that is very dry then, yes, Scotland can seem attractive. We often say you can get 4 seasons on one day up here on the north-eastern fringes of Europe.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    A really absorbing and evocative image.

I do see a processing problem, however. There seems to be haloing around parts of the edge where the mountain meets the sky. It's not severe, but it is noticeable in places.
    +1 to that - picky, but it takes the edge off a very nice composition with otherwise excellent processing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    +1 to that - picky, but it takes the edge off a very nice composition with otherwise excellent processing.
    Yes, it is noticeable in this reduced version, but not in the original. Will work on that.

Edit: The 'halo' has been fixed (not on the image in here). Very unusual and not a 'normal' halo. Had to go back well into the sky to get the blend to look right.
    Last edited by Donald; 2nd May 2018 at 08:42 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks Donald - these high contrast interfaces can be a pain in the pants .

Cheers, Bill

Real Name
    Brian

Did you know your society has a 30 day free trial going on. I just joined. I'll see how it goes.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Did you know your society has a 30 day free trial going on. I just joined. I'll see how it goes.
    Good on them and good on you.

Real Name
    Ole

Donald, it seems that you have departed from your 'normal' practice pp. The transitions between the mountain and sky and also between the 'first' lake and land and lastly between lake and land in the bottom picture are very sudden.

It is quite possible that what you saw is what you photographed. This is just my observations.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    Donald, it seems that you have departed from your 'normal' practice pp. The transitions between the mountain and sky and also between the 'first' lake and land and lastly between lake and land in the bottom picture are very sudden.

It is quite possible that what you saw is what you photographed. This is just my observations.
    Not quite sure about the question, Ole. If you mean that there is greater contrast between the elements of the image, then that is likely true. Although that is not a change of practice for all images, but is a greater awareness of teasing out the tones to produce a good B & W (see reference to being mentored, above). So, it will happen when I think it needs to happen, but won't when I do not need see the need for it.