Thread: Landscape: After the Storm

Real Name
    Dan

Landscape: After the Storm

Our weather has been horrid for the past couple of weeks. Yesterday the high temperature of the day was 40F(5C). Finally in the evening the sun came out to reveal a coat of fresh snow on the mountains which were lit up by the low sun. Shot the following photo at almost 10pm. It's also one of the first images from a new D850 which I recently acquired. It's a two shot pano. I think I smelled smoke coming from my desktop while it was stitching the two files together

Best viewed in the light box.

Nikon D850(two frames stitched in LR), Nikkor 70-200 f4@145mm, 1/200s, f11, ISO800

Real Name
    John

Re: Landscape: After the Storm

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Beautiful composition. I wondered about so much grass in the foreground, but I think that works. It emphasises that the mountains rise up at the edge of flat plain.

I appreciate that what the image is showing is the late evening sun on the mountains, but I also wondered whether moving the white point along the scale a bit would help. At the moment, the histogram shows the first activity at somewhere like 187 (although I'm seeing this on a very small histogram).

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Mesmerizing....

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the comments, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...I wondered about so much grass in the foreground, but I think that works. It emphasises that the mountains rise up at the edge of flat plain.

I appreciate that what the image is showing is the late evening sun on the mountains, but I also wondered whether moving the white point along the scale a bit would help...
    Thanks for the detailed comments, Donald.

There were two things driving my thinking on the foreground grass. First, contextually I did indeed want to show the context of the vast plain of marshland the comprises the head of Cook Inlet. Second, in order to achieve the 2x1 aspect ratio that I wanted a decision had to be made on how much sky and foreground to include. So I elected to go with symmetry with one third each for sky, mountains, and FG.

I did try bumping up the white point last night when I was working this. I thought it caused some loss of detail in the subtle detail on the snow and also washed out some of the color. And indeed the light was not only low(sun 1.5 degrees above the horizon at time of capture) but was also filtering through thin cloud low on the horizon. I watched and waited for half an hour or so in hopes of a rich alpenglow but the low cloud spoiled it. For a rich pink alpenglow the horizon must be perfectly clear.

I reworked the image just now. 1) raised the white point as suggested, 2) cooled the WB and tweaked the tint on the sky, 3) removed a slight vignette.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I reworked the image just now. 1) raised the white point as suggested, 2) cooled the WB and tweaked the tint on the sky, 3) removed a slight vignette.
    I think that enhances the image.

Real Name
    Sharon

Very nicely captured mountain scene.
    The grasses enhance the image imo...they add to the contrast in landscape.
    The edit works very well.