Thread: For Dan & Dan: My Tina Turner technique turkey feather shot

Real Name
    Brian

For Dan & Dan: My Tina Turner technique turkey feather shot

For Dan & Dan: My Tina Turner technique turkey feather shot

It has been noted by some that as of yet I do not have a style. I beg to disagree. I have multiple styles. And to paraphrase a great poet: If one style contradicts another... so be it I am a multitude.

ISO 100 ~ Shutter Speed 0.8s ~ F/16 ~ Tungsten lighting from a single lamp.

Real Name
    John

Re: For Dan & Dan: My Tina Turner technique turkey feather shot

Nicely captured, I've never read someone claiming you didn't have a style in fact you have a very recognizable style; part of this thing we do (photography) should be about enjoying what we create; take the criticism for the technical aspects only not the artistic; if artists allowed their creativity to be altered we wouldn't have had the works of Dali, Dado, or Baldhus. Regarding your feather images, the first to me was merely a study in textures and light, this particular image moves closer to fine art and the only difference being the inclusion of shadow, hint of background, a slight curl, and raised edge.

Real Name
    Dan

I certainly have never suggested you don't have a style.

This one and the previous one are quite different as compositions, but I will comment only on the topic of the last thread: luminance. Compare the histograms of the two shots. This one makes use of the full tonal range. The previous one didn't. The result is that the beautiful patterns created by the feather's barbs are much more apparent in this photo. In my opinion, that makes this one much more interesting to look at.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely captured, I've never read someone claiming you didn't have a style in fact you have a very recognizable style; part of this thing we do (photography) should be about enjoying what we create; take the criticism for the technical aspects only not the artistic; if artists allowed their creativity to be altered we wouldn't have had the works of Dali, Dado, or Baldhus. Regarding your feather images, the first to me was merely a study in textures and light, this particular image moves closer to fine art and the only difference being the inclusion of shadow, hint of background, a slight curl, and raised edge.
    That I shall attempt to do.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I certainly have never suggested you don't have a style.

This one and the previous one are quite different as compositions, but I will comment only on the topic of the last thread: luminance. Compare the histograms of the two shots. This one makes use of the full tonal range. The previous one didn't. The result is that the beautiful patterns created by the feather's barbs are much more apparent in this photo. In my opinion, that makes this one much more interesting to look at.
    I must admit that I like them both. The subtlety of the first is enjoyable as is this shots pop. At least to me

Real Name
    Greg

I agree with John and Dan. In addition, what makes this image superior to the mono version is the compositional elements - the subtle use of diagonals and assymetry. Each quadrant is different and therefore rewards the viewers' effort.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I agree with John and Dan. In addition, what makes this image superior to the mono version is the compositional elements - the subtle use of diagonals and assymetry. Each quadrant is different and therefore rewards the viewers' effort.
    I hadn't thought of it like you do. But I can see what you mean. So much to learn, so few cameras

Real Name
    Dan

The two shots are significantly different in bot composition and technical execution. It is immediately apparent that this one is a feather. And it shows more different aspects of the feather. The first image took at least a moment or two of thought to recognize what it was. The details are sharper in this one.

I'll give you this, Brian, it's always interesting to see what you'll come up with next

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    The two shots are significantly different in bot composition and technical execution. It is immediately apparent that this one is a feather. And it shows more different aspects of the feather. The first image took at least a moment or two of thought to recognize what it was. The details are sharper in this one.

I'll give you this, Brian, it's always interesting to see what you'll come up with next
    the first one reminds me of a winter landscape on the prairies.

I am eclectic and curious.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Lovely image

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Lovely image
    getting there