Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Abstract Canvas

Real Name
    Kay

Abstract Canvas

We are currently starting a new house build... well the Builder is!

It is a very modern design, so I have been thinking of an abstract artwork, would look cool in the front entrance.

This was until I saw the prices!

I am currently looking into contacting schools and maybe commissioning a piece by a final yr student...

An alternate idea, that I wonder does anyone have experience in, is the option of turning a photo of my own into a an abstract look....

Quite a strange tack for me, so I am looking forward to hearing if anyone has had experiences to share.

Real Name
    John

Re: Abstract Canvas

Hi Kay,

There are Photoshop tools (radial blur, blur, artistic tools) that could easily turn any of your images into an abstract. Another option would be to use the camera to do time delayed zoom, physical spin (using the camera strap as holder), or just finding a common subject and photographing using slow shutter speed. What size canvas are you looking for and will it have a specific frame?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Abstract covers a very wide range of photography; much of it primarily created in camera and then having the finishing steps done using post-processing tools. I know a number of photographers that love working in the genre while others avoid it as much as possible.

One possible approach is to find some abstract works and then figure out how they were created. That way you can start to build your own piece.

The place to start would be the size that you are looking at. If if is large, you are going to have to look for a custom photo printer who uses pigment based inks to produce it and that is not going to be inexpensive. You are also going to have to look at the colour scheme that you need for that part of the house. That should include any framing / mounting costs (mattes and frames are expensive too). If the area is quite bright and sunny, you are going to have to look at additional techniques to apply UV protection to the final product to prevent premature fading.

By the time you finish costing this all, you might find that the artwork you have been looking at is not all that expensive after all.

Real Name
    Kay

Thank you John & Manfred,

Great ideas John, thank you, I have once tried the long exposure & zoom in or out during the exposure, on a forest of tree trunks, never tried physical,spin!
    Might do that on the small camera first in case of accidents.

I know what you mean Manfred, I’m looking at recovering an old ottoman in a new frantic to suit the house.... sadly it’s cheaper to replace the whole thing than to buy the fabric.
    I’m still going to do it though, as I like a project.

If using my own photo as an abstract, I thought if I transformed one that I was happy with in Photoshop, then maybe trying to copy it in paint on an inexpensive canvas or use it as a general guide if I commission a student.

The prices for buying new from research so far, are upwards of $3,000 so that’s what started my search.

Thank you both, I’ll google some YouTube demos & have a go today.

I’ve made up materials boards of all the samples of finishes we’ve chosen, with some coloured wool, or fabric and plant clippings added, to take on shopping expeditions.
    A photo of those might be a good start to play with.

Real Name
    Greg

I'm not sure what you mean by abstract, Kay, but Topaz has a lot of software that might produce what you want and it is certainly cheaper than paying someone to paint something. But the cost of printing might be prohibitive.
    On the other hand, if you watch Better Homes and Gardens you can see how that woman produces "artwork" every week with a few strokes of a paint roller.

Real Name
    Kay

Oops, sorry Greg
    Good point, I should have included an example
    This is what I liked...

We don't watch the show, but I know what you mean.... I have the same thought when the lifestyle mag that comes with the weekend paper, features ANOTHER footballer's wife who is giving us all design/decor/fashion advice...
    I feel sorry for the young students who actually pay to study these courses!... anyhoo I digress...

the photo
    Attached Images Attached Images