Thread: NZ Weather

Real Name
    Kay

NZ Weather

I recently had a quick 3 day trip to visit my Parents in NZ
    I was planning to take some landscape images to learn more with regard to balancing exposure, post processing to show wider dynamic range etc...
    Unfortunately the weather was too bleak to do any shooting.

Ive stumbled across this image from another trip.
    The road into/away from Aoraki (Mt Cook) has a lookout point with a photogenic winding road.

This wasn't taken from there, again due to poor visibility.

With Instagram, there are many many images to see of #NZmustdo
    It is however still a mountain landscape with hazards & the conditions can be at times dangerous.

I look forward to the next trip, possibly September.

NZ Weather

Real Name
    John

Re: NZ Weather

Has potential, I think you could lose the road and have two totally different compositions.

Real Name
    Dan

There's a reason that the best shots of iconic locations are almost always made by local photographers. When the weather/lighting is right they can run out and take a shot. Those of us who only visit, perhaps once in our life, must take what we can get or not at all.

Unfortunately when visiting such places it is nearly impossible to avoid having preconceived notions of the shot one wants to come away with. I know for myself I often reflect(too late) on opportunities that I missed by trying to force what I had pre-planned rather than just going with what presented itself at the moment. With age/experience I've gotten better about that but still struggle with it at times.

Regarding the weather, here in Alaska it is so often grey/drizzly/snowing/etc that we have a saying, "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad equipment". I try to adopt that mind set for my photography as well. There's no bad conditions for shooting. Just different. OK maybe raining sideways is just bad

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Stunning....

Real Name
    Kay

Thank you for your replies,
    John, I did wonder about the road, I think I left it in, as the ‘usual’ shot of this scene taken form a lookout, includes the road, so wanted to show it differently.

A ha Dan, yes your environment would be very challenging indeed!

Thank you Nandakumar

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Please don't use that title again.

I have just glanced along the Tabs at the top of my browser window looking for the CinC Tab and I completely ignored the tab because it had a NZ Weather label on it and I assumed it was another of my nearly always available tabs. After I puzzled for a few seconds it dawned on me it was indeed the CinC Tab in disguise.

My next task was to reassure everyone that the weather here is great when there was a clap of thunder and a hail shower. It's great most (some?) of the time.

As Dan mentioned when traveling you need to take advantage of the photo opportunities regardless of the weather and lighting. In your photo you have managed that well.

Real Name
    Kay

Thank you Paul, will do!
    As my 83 yr old Dad is fond of saying, as we toss up wether to go out or not...

“oh that’s just a bit of scotch mist”

Real Name
    Greg

I like the image, Kay. Maybe my memory bank is overburdened with cliche shots but I think the road works well in this composition. When I opened the image in lytebox it cropped off part of the hill on the right, which effectively lowered its summit and made the main subject the highest, and therefore most prominent feature in the image.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That could so be Scotland. In fact the image reminds me of Glencoe.

The idea of using the road in the image is inspiring.

Real Name
    Bill

Lovely shot, and add me to the road lovers .

Real Name
    Kay

Thank you Greg, Donald & Bill for your comments.
    I am truly lucky to have my Parents healthy & well and enjoying my visits & trips about.

If I learn even a teeny bit about landscape images along the way, then even better still.