Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At the Sheep Dog Trial

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

At the Sheep Dog Trial

As a young man I used to enjoy trials enormously. I had an uncle who was a top-notch trialer and used to travel the country with him to trials.

At the weekend just past, I went up to my childhood home to enjoy and photograph the trial at which I used to help out at. It was the first time I was at the trial for more that 40 years. I had wanted to visit and photograph for quite a long time.

It was also the first serious use of a monopod that I purchased. As a landscape photographer, using the camera at 800ISO and shutter speeds of up to 1/4000th made me feel quite dizzy .

Any comments or critique will be welcome.

At the Sheep Dog Trial

Real Name
    John

Re: At the Sheep Dog Trial

Very crisp capture, I'm more comfortable with a monopod than a tripod but sometimes the monopod can become cumbersome, a good ball head does make for versatility though.

Real Name
    Ole

The tension in this picture is palpable. Will the sheep bolt? Will the dog turn into wunderdog and save the man from split jeans syndrome? Seriously, I think you have got a nice fun picture. Oh! the story about the monopod and 1/4000th made my day.

A question, we have been to Sheep Dog exibitions in Australia and have never seen a dog being restrained as this one is. How is this?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice image Donald. What I find interesting (and a bit amusing) is how the three main pictorial elements are physically as well as compositionally connected in this shot.

As I am not at all familiar with sheep dog trials, what are we seeing in this image?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    As I am not at all familiar with sheep dog trials, what are we seeing in this image?
    This is right at the end of a dog's trial - penning the sheep. It is when man and dog work together to get the sheep into a pretty small holding pen.

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    A question, we have been to Sheep Dog exibitions in Australia and have never seen a dog being restrained as this one is. How is this?
    Not sure what you mean by restrained. This is normal behaviour for the dog.The dog will very often stare the sheep out in a battle of wills to see who'll move first.
    Last edited by Donald; 28th May 2018 at 12:57 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    This is right at the end of a dog's trial - penning the sheep. It is when man and dog work together to get the sheep into a pretty small holding pen
    Thanks Donald - the context really helps me understand what was happening.

Real Name
    Dan

I love your story that goes along with the image, Donald. I can imagine the sense of nostalgia you must have felt returning to see something from years past. I use a monopod from time to time and it always feels unnatural simply because it is so infrequently that I do so.

...Not sure what you mean by restrained...
    I think the reference is to the man's right hand. Presumably judging by his hand position he is holding a cane or similar stick but it looks like it is something attached to the dog's collar. I had the same first impression that it was a leash or something attached to the dog. Presumably with his left hand the man is opening the gate. But similar to the situation with the dog that also looks like he has a rope attached to one of the sheep. It does make it a bit confusing as to exactly what it going on.

By the way you nailed the colors on the dog

Real Name
    Richard

Donald...

Really neat image.

I love a monopod and use it with a tilt head because, I seem to achieve the absolute most steady hold when the pod is positioned at 90 degrees (perpendicular) to the ground. With the tilt head, I can keep the pod perpendicular but, am able to tilt the camera. I use a Kirk MPA-2 but if I were purchasing now; I'd seriously consider the Sirui L-10 which is available at a fraction of the cost of the Kirk or RRS tilt heads. BTW: I like tilt heads much better than ball heads on my monopods - they are usually lighter in weight.. B&H has a rebate on the Surui L-10 bringing the price down to about USD $75.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...kaAtJFEALw_wcB

Another low tech accessory that I have been using is this monopod belt pouch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Po....c100005.m1851

This very inexpensive unit does double duty. It is a belt pouch to carry your monopod when you are not using it and it also functions to hold the tip of the monopod when shooting in a fluid environment. That will give your camera/lens some additional support yet, allow you to move around freely.

It is made quite well but, I asked my wife to modify it a TAD so that my heavy duty monopod would fit a bit better.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I think the reference is to the man's right hand. Presumably judging by his hand position he is holding a cane or similar stick but it looks like it is something attached to the dog's collar.
    Ah hah! I see what you mean. No, the man and the dog were separated by some distance and the stick (called a shepherd's crook, in these here parts) was some way from being anywhere near the dog.

Real Name
    Greg

Really good composition, Donald, you captured the action at the right moment. The tension between the elements reflects the tension between the subjects.

Real Name
    George

Ah hah! I see what you mean. No, the man and the dog were separated by some distance and the stick (called a shepherd's crook, in these here parts) was some way from being anywhere near the dog.
    I first thought of a collar too. My first impression was that man did hold the sheep and dog on a line or something like that and both being something afraid of each other, going backwards. It's not really clear what's going on.

George

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    It's not really clear what's going on.
    Ach well, somethings will always remain a mystery.

Real Name
    George

Ach well, somethings will always remain a mystery.
    As a documentary photograph, and I think this is one, you should take care of the important elements in it. That means a direction towards the pen. That might include a visible entrance and a door that man is holding open with a rope. And a stick not ending behind the dog.
    Technical a good picture perhaps but the content/framing could be better.

George

Real Name
    Sandy

When I saw this photo, I realized the rope was holding the gate open and the staff was maybe cautioning the dog to move carefully. It probably helps to know a bit about sheep herding because then the photo makes a lot of sense! Your B/W conversions are stunning!

Real Name
    Rudi

A stunning piece off 'action-photography' Donald. Love the interaction between the handler, dog and sheep. Beggs the question: did they get them in?
    This would make a very nice intro picture on the organisations website too...

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

With the exception of the sheep breed nothing in the photo confused me. However I live in a land where for many years a sheep trial TV program was very popular.

It is the sort of shooting where I tend to set the aperture and speed in manual mode and enable auto ISO up to 3200. ISO 800 is nothing for a modern camera.

Well done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    It probably helps to know a bit about sheep herding because then the photo makes a lot of sense!
    Yep, I agree. I realise that now. I thought that it would be obvious to everyone, but recognise now that a bit of knowledge help.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    A stunning piece off 'action-photography' Donald. Love the interaction between the handler, dog and sheep. Beggs the question: did they get them in?
    Thank you. Yes, he got them in. This was part of, I think, the 2nd place run. The same guy won 1st place with another dog.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    This would make a very nice intro picture on the organisations website too...
    I've pointed them toward my Facebook page and they can ask for what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    With the exception of the sheep breed nothing in the photo confused me. However I live in a land where for many years a sheep trial TV program was very popular.
    The sheep are Scottish Blackface.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th May 2018 at 09:08 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

It was also the first serious use of a monopod that I purchased. As a landscape photographer, using the camera at 800ISO and shutter speeds of up to 1/4000th made me feel quite dizzy .
    Tsk tsk Donald. At this rate we'll be seeing BIF shots from you before long . That would be OK by me, as long as you keep ones like this coming.
    Last edited by billtils; 30th May 2018 at 09:45 AM.

Real Name
    Sharon

I love this photograph. The intensity of the dog is so awesome, and his human trying to gain some sort of ???
    Very cool capture Donald.

Real Name
    Ike Harel

Hi Donald,
    I remember seeing this specie of sheep in the isle-of-Skye.
    Amazing how the man was holding the dog in one rope and the gate (I guess) with the other rope.
    One of the herd was looking directly to you...
    Ike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast