Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Depth of field calc and superzoom 1" sensor cameras

Depth of field calc and superzoom 1" sensor cameras

Hi, all...

I'd like to use the Cambridge in Colour online depth of field calculator with my Sony RX10 III and IV cameras. They have a 1" sensor and I've discovered that the focal length shown on the lens when you zoom is the 35mm equivalent. After determining the settings and focal length that I want, should I divide the number shown on the lens by 2.7 (the crop factor for 1" sensors, I hear) and plug the result into the DOF calc? Thx

Steve

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Depth of field calc and superzoom 1" sensor cameras

Quote Originally Posted by sfogel2 View Post
    I've discovered that the focal length shown on the lens when you zoom is the 35mm equivalent. After determining the settings and focal length that I want, should I divide the number shown on the lens by 2.7 (the crop factor for 1" sensors, I hear) and plug the result into the DOF calc?
    If this is how Sony has marked their lenses, then what you are suggesting sounds reasonable. Make sure you select the 1" sensor in the calculator.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

My Canon PowersShot Series zoom lenses have those markings too.

Re DoF - additionally, especially if you regularly Portraits or photograph objects in the near to medium Subject Distance range, it's handy to know that for any SENSOR SIZE the DoF remains the same and is dependent only upon FRAMING, provided the APERTURE remains the same.
    (FRAMING is what you see in the VIEWFINDER)

So, quickly for an example and referring to my DoF calculator . . . (CoC set at 0.009mm)

If you use your Sony Cameras in VERTICAL ORIENTATION and FRAME a person FULL LENGTH with a bit of air at the top and a little bit of space at the bottom, (about 7ft FoV on the Long Side) you'll have:
    about 7'6" DoF at F/4
    about 12' DoF at F/5.6
    about 23' DoF at F/8

Holding your camera in VERTICAL ORIENTATION and for an HALF SHOT of a person:
    F/4 DoF ≈ 1’6”
    F/5.6 DoF ≈ 2’5”
    F/8 DoF ≈ 3’8”

And for an HEAD SHOT:

F/4 DoF ≈ 7”
    F/5.6 DoF ≈ 10”
    F/8 DoF ≈ 1’3”

WW

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Hi, all...

I'd like to use the Cambridge in Colour online depth of field calculator with my Sony RX10 III and IV cameras. They have a 1" sensor and I've discovered that the focal length shown on the lens when you zoom is the 35mm equivalent. After determining the settings and focal length that I want, should I divide the number shown on the lens by 2.7 (the crop factor for 1" sensors, I hear) and plug the result into the DOF calc? Thx

Steve
    You're right, Steve!
    You should divide the focal length shown on the lens by 2.7 (*) and write the result in the DOF calculator, making sure to select the 1 "sensor on the calculator.

(*) The lens of your camera has a focal length ranging from 8.8 mm to 220 mm (which corresponds to 24 mm to 600 mm FFE). The crop factor = 24 / 8.8 = 600/220 = 2.7272 ... ≈ 2.7.

FFE stands for Full Frame Equivalent (same as 35mm film equivalent).

Cheers,
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Dem

After determining the settings and focal length that I want, should I divide the number shown on the lens by 2.7?
    Yes.