Thread: That was then; This is now

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

That was then; This is now

A contrast between the new and old industries in the Peace River district. More people work in oil and natural gas now than agriculture and for sure it wins on the money generated side. Will not be quite so picturesque in future years compared to the older industry.

Struggled a bit with the composition. I needed to be across the field to get the oil field waste water processing facility in view. I could have cropped closer, I finally decide I liked the cultivated field for the lines.

That was then; This is now

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: That was then; This is now

I think the idea if showing the old with the new is a clever idea. I tried to do it with Wind Turbines. It an image with a message and that's got to be good.

Maybe cropping to something like 16 x 9 ratio would retain sufficient foreground lines and give a different perspective?

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting,Trevor. Nicely seen opportunity. Oil and gas is certainly not as photogenic. Particularly since modern regulations require that they clean up after themselves. Not much left behind to offer photo opps. In some early 20th century developments maybe a few old derricks and pumps hanging around.

Real Name
    Bruce

Trevor, nice photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Nicely seen and captured, interesting that the old is in the forefront and the new in the background but perhaps doing the opposite is near impossible.

Real Name
    Sharon

This is a great photograph. Like the concept and composition.

Some day soon, I would hope to see this comparison as being old = oil and gas vs another new industry replacing the archaic.
    (Not trying to start a political discussion/war here).
    You all have quite the battle going on right now with the pipeline. Following closely, given we are not far from BC.

Real Name
    Brian

Agree with a 16x9 crop suggestion. Biting my tongue on the environmental issues

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think the idea if showing the old with the new is a clever idea. I tried to do it with Wind Turbines. It an image with a message and that's got to be good.
    I entirely agree.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

This image is a prime example of the viewer being an active participant in the image. One client saw this and thought it was an interesting commentary on how sad that the oil and gas industry is pushing out agriculture and changing the landscape; another thought it was a positive statement on the new industry and the old coexisting well.

Tried the 16X9 crop, this is still my preferred format given my liking for the lines the field. 16X9 is not a worse choice, just a different image.