Thread: Stumbled upon this image

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Stumbled upon this image

Literally. I was walking back to the car, walking on the margin of the field and stepped on a rock buried in the soft sandy loam of the seeded field. The rock rotated; as did I. If one has to fall, freshly seeded sandy loam provides a nice soft landing. While rolling over to get to my feet I saw this.

Stumbled upon this image

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Stumbled upon this image

Sometimes accidents do get us to see things we would have missed and this seems to have been a reasonably fortuitous stumble (assuming no damage was done to your persons or your equipment).

This is a nice, strong image and one that does very well in B&W. The repeating patterns of the furrows works very well, especially at the time of day as they are just the right proportion versus the tops of the furrows. The horizon line and the stand of trees helps anchor the viewer in the scene and balances the abstraction of the foreground with the reality of the scene. Nicely seen and taken!

Real Name
    Dan

Nice image, Trevor. Maybe you should leave the tripod home and just lay down to shoot from now on.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Sometimes accidents do get us to see things we would have missed and this seems to have been a reasonably fortuitous stumble (assuming no damage was done to your persons or your equipment).

This is a nice, strong image and one that does very well in B&W. The repeating patterns of the furrows works very well, especially at the time of day as they are just the right proportion versus the tops of the furrows. The horizon line and the stand of trees helps anchor the viewer in the scene and balances the abstraction of the foreground with the reality of the scene. Nicely seen and taken!
    I will pass on your comments to the farmer! They are always proud of having well proportioned and symmetric rows. When I was helping on a farm in Saskatchewan I was banished to the internal fields, well off the roads and hidden by aspen trees, so no one could see my horrid irregular rows.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Nice image, Trevor. Maybe you should leave the tripod home and just lay down to shoot from now on.
    Probably safer given my prior history. When my wife and I were in Jasper for our 40 year anniversary we took the aerial tram to a peak; she forbade me going to one area where there was an overhanging cornice. The park had notices up warning people; about two weeks prior to our going the wardens had found some tracks leading to edge of a cornice and then back. The suspicion was that the creator had gone out there to get a better view not realizing it was a 1000 metre drop, the cornice could have detached at any moment and it was only a metre thick bit of snow where they stopped.

Real Name
    Bruce

Trevor, very nice photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    Greg

That's a great shot, Trevor. I'd try cropping up to the lower edge of the upper large shadow.

Real Name
    Sharon

Great capture. Love the rows!
    Our fields out here are looking nice right now with not only beautiful rows but little green things popping up. I hope hope hope it all remains, if would be a shame to pave over what is considered some of the best soil in the world for the latest shopping malls or mega home developments.

Very nice image Trevor, just next time stay on your feet 😛