Thread: Time to upgrade the desktop

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Time to upgrade the desktop

I'm getting a bit low on disk space, so it's time to add a new hard drive to my desktop machine.

I hope that this will hold me for a while...

Time to upgrade the desktop

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Time to upgrade the desktop

It looks like your computer has an obesity problem... You will need to exercise it vigorously every day.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

When one shoots around 20 GB a week and even more when I am on the road, the HDDs fill up quickly. I grabbed this drive because my local retailer had it marked down by over $CAD 100, so it was getting close to the price of the 10 TB drives. Apparently Western Digital has just announced a 14 TB drive, so they are clearing out inventory to make space for even larger drives. My old setup had two 4 TB drives, so I was well over 7TB in use, so the growth in storage is not as large as it sounds.

Real Name
    Dave

This is getting ridiculous. I remember back when having a 1tb database on a "mainframe" computer earned serious bragging rights.

And I remember where the A: and B: drives went

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. I remember back when having a 1tb database on a "mainframe" computer earned serious bragging rights.

And I remember where the A: and B: drives went

Dave
    Yes I remember buying a 30MB Miniscribe HDD for my desktop many years ago and thought it held a ton of material.

I'm busily populating the 12 TB drive right now and am only putting image files that my wife and I took over the past 8 years on it. I think I have around 8 TB of "good" image files that I'm transferring right now. I also have two 12TB RAID backups (excluding redundancy). When I finish this restore I will have all of the image files stored on three separate devices.