Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Project 52: Week 26, South East Scotland

Real Name
    Bill

Project 52: Week 26, South East Scotland

This is the only part of Scotland (other than the Outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland) that I have not visited - time to fix that!

The journey went through the Borders, from Peebles, through Galashiels, Kelso and Duns, to the desired photographic destination of St Abbs. A welcome surprise was finding that the road took us past Leaderfoot and its Viaduct. An imposing and iconic structure, more correctly known as the Drygrange Viaduct, it was completed in 1865 for the Berwickshire Railway. No longer in use, it is designated as a Category 'A' site by Historic Environment Scotland, classified as being of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Project 52:  Week 26, South East Scotland

Another surprise was the adjacent Drygrange Old Bridge. Built in 1779-80, using red and buff sandstone, with attractive carvings, it is no longer in use, having been replaced by a modern road bridge in 1973. Thankfully the much more attractive old bridge was left as a pedestrian and cyclist crossing of the Tweed.

Driving on through the delightful Borders scenery, we reached St Abbs around 5:30 PM. Not even close to "Golden Hour" but far enough on to soften the sun in the cloudless sky. All that was missing was some water, as the tide was out!

A few miles further north along the coast is the attractive and secluded harbour in Cove Bay. The tide was still out, but that meant I could get a good view of the attractive red stone cliffs and caves that define the edge of the bay.

A return visit is very much on the agenda, but timed to be when the tide is in and to catch the morning Golden Hour.
    Last edited by billtils; 26th June 2018 at 09:30 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Project 52: Week 26, South East Scotland

Yep, the Borders is a beautiful area, as are all the places you've still to get to.

Lovely set of images, Bill. They work well together.

Real Name
    Sandy

I appreciate the narrative that you provided with your set of photos that are full of interesting detail. I couldn't sort out a favorite since I enjoyed them all.

Real Name
    Greg

Nice set, Bill. The last scene with the red cliffs looks like a great location for some landscape work.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks Sandy and Greg. As mentioned in the narrative, this was a first visit to the area but I'll be back after a close study of tides and sun positioning .

Real Name
    Kay

A lovely series needed, a great advert for the region!

Real Name
    John

Nice series.