Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Sandy

2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Third quarter - week 27 - begins. It is ridiculously hot and humid here currently. Mornings and evenings are definitely the best time for photo work. We do have lovely flowers and the following photo of a clematis is especially a happy one for me because this vine is finally flourishing. We've spent a few years trying to get this one established and I believe we've finally succeeded.

So I'll begin with one that has had some PP done to it and I hope it is enjoyable for others to view.

Clematis - ISO400 - f/5.6 - 1/125

Real Name
    Bill

Re: 2018 Project 52 - 3rd Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Success on all fronts Sandy - very nice.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Bill - I was just looking at your bumble bee (?) and I think that it is well done!

Thank you for checking out the clematis and commenting!

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks for the comments Sandy.

I was just so relieved when it worked out as I really like the results I've been getting from the D810 until trying it for macros - I do too many macros to put up with it being weak in that area no matter how well it performed in other genres. Phew!

Real Name
    Rudi

Very nice clematis you got there Sandy, that begs for more pictures, different angles......

A tricky scene to photograph so as to isolate just one flower.

I think I would use a tiny bit of crop and clone to remove that distracting little patch of purple in the top left corner but otherwise this image has worked well

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Very nice clematis you got there Sandy, that begs for more pictures, different angles......
    Thank you Rudi! At the moment it is flowering nicely. So I'll see what I can do. We are about to be hit by a fairly strong thunderstorm so I think I'll stay inside!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    A tricky scene to photograph so as to isolate just one flower.

I think I would use a tiny bit of crop and clone to remove that distracting little patch of purple in the top left corner but otherwise this image has worked well
    Hi Geoff - you are right about there being difficulty singling out only one. Clematis like to "hug" each other... or at least that is what it seems like! <chuckle>

So I heeded your suggestion and worked on the pic a bit more. See if this works better for display!

That looks a much 'cleaner' image to me now.

It can be surprising how just one little item in a particular place can upset the whole balance of a scene. You have quite a bit of odd purple patches at the bottom but somehow that doesn't appear to make any difference. I suppose the bottom can be a bit 'heavy looking' but still appear natural while the top area works better for being a little 'lighter' in texture.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Geoff - I appreciate your viewpoint about the balance of this photo. I know that it is one of many blossoms, so I guess that's why I didn't worry about the bit of purple that's "extras". But then I see this vine most every day so it looks natural to me.

Seeing it from your viewpoint, gives me perspective about how others might see the flower. Thanks for checking out my photo work! I appreciate the feedback!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

So beautiful a flower...you know its local name?

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    So beautiful a flower...you know its local name?
    Hi Nandakumar ~ I've missed seeing your presence on CiC! I'm glad you are back!

We call it a Clematis but I don't know its botanical name. In fact, I can't even find the common name for it since we purchased it from a general purpose store a few years ago. So I flunk on knowing its proper name. <sad>

I am glad you enjoyed the photo. Thanks for commenting!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Thank you very much for the information; i was a bit busy these days; further it is a few months i did any photography
    Further it is always raining ...its monsoon here....

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Thank you very much for the information; i was a bit busy these days; further it is a few months i did any photography
    Further it is always raining ...its monsoon here....
    Hi Nandakumar - Monsoon! - Sounds like it is time to dig out the rain jacket and camera protection gear and head out to get some photo work done! <laughing> Just teasing of course! Take care and keep dry!

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 28 And it is 'hummertime'! We have Ruby-throated hummingbirds in our area. They are fun to watch and to try and photograph.

I'm posting the best of my first attempt to catch this fast little bird in flight, for opinions. I've cropped it close and see that it is noisy but wondered how others feel about a picture such as this one? Is it worth keeping - maybe whimsical? Or am I only being hopeful about it. It was evening so I'd bumped the ISO up to capture it.

Hummer - ISO2000 - f/5.6 - 1/1250ss

A few days later, I tried again. These were taken using ISO640 - f/5 - 1/2000ss
    I'm still trying to catch this busy bird in flight! Enjoy my attempts!

These two are finally at rest!

#4 - Little bird with an attitude!

#5 - And very hungry!

Real Name
    Bill

Great images Sandy. Hummers look to be lovely birds but we don't get them here and I've not had the pleasure of seeing one on any of my travel to more exotic places (and yes. I've been in Ohio more than once ).

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Bill - These little creatures turn up around the latter part of March and will stay until September depending on weather. We plant flowers that draw them in as well as feeding them syrup (1 part sugar to 4 parts water). They do have to become used to your presence but once they are, they will come very close to feed. For some reason, this year ours still seem very timid. Not sure why but maybe by the end of the season, they will be more content.

Ohio definitely isn't exotic! <LOL> But I hope you enjoy your visits here! Thanks for your comments!

Difficult subjects which have worked well.

With the first one, have you tried putting a selection over the noisy area, with a slight feather, and using some noise reduction on just the problem areas.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Difficult subjects which have worked well.

With the first one, have you tried putting a selection over the noisy area, with a slight feather, and using some noise reduction on just the problem areas.
    Hi Geoff - I didn't find in Affinity Photo the steps to do what you suggest but I did find that if I started from scratch and brought the RAW photo into Affinity, I can work with the noise problem there before moving it into the "Develop" module. And then I can refine the "noise" a bit more. So I reworked the photo and believe this one is a bit better? See what you think?

Most of the time noise shouldn't be a problem but there are going to be times when a photo opportunity is going to present itself and the conditions are going to be iffy. So knowing how to rectify the noise issues, etc. will be helpful. Granted, these photos are not going to be the A+ type but they will be memory makers. I would rather take them then miss out completely. But that's just my feelings about it.

As always, I appreciate your feedback!

Hummer - Edited

Last edited by skitterbug; 8th July 2018 at 09:24 PM.

Real Name
    Bill

Sandy

There are lots of ways to address the noise issue, but to stay with the AP route, go to the Selection Brush tool

and select the area of interest, then Filters > Noise > Denoise.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast