Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Helena, MT billboard&mural

Real Name
    Sharon

Helena, MT billboard&mural

Helena, MT

#1 - Big anti meth campaign from a couple years ago... I remember fake meth houses in Billings, MT to emphasize the message.

#2 Helena is called "crunchy"

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Helena, MT billboard&mural

The first shot doesn't do much for me. It looks like a bit of a "grab shot" with little forethought or story-telling in mind. The sign is there, but the background material doesn't seem to work together with the sign context in any way that I can see.

The second one is a stronger image with the figure on the left getting some balance from the tree sticking up from behind the building on the right. A bit more texture in the clouds might be interesting too.

I was also wondering about the first image. So I went away then returned a little later for another thought about it.

Somehow, it isn't quite coming together, as Manfred mentioned. So which is most important, the sign or the sky? I think you need to choose between them.

Either way, I would crop the left side a little, maybe between the first two vehicles. Then either lose a bit from the bottom to have a decent sky with that sign in the foreground, or leave the foreground alone and crop a bit tighter on the sky with a different size ratio, such as 5 x 4 to concentrate on the message, but with sufficient sky retained to make an interesting background.

There is a good scene to be had there, I think. The focus etc is fine, although maybe just a fraction more of highlight boost may give it a bit more 'punch'.

Real Name
    Sharon

Understand your points guys. In the first, yes it was too much of a grab, but the background is what it is... rural Montana, with a meth problem (most likely opioids now). There was a huge campaign paid for by millionaires in Paradise Valley to try to help with the crisis. Crops definitely would help tho. Thanks for critiquing ...

Real Name
    John

Nice set.