Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Image Size For Upload

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Best Image Size For Upload

Good explanation Peter.

The one point I would add to your excellent summary is that doing an operation with the resample box checked is a DESTRUCTIVE operation and pixels will either be thrown away or created, but the original image is gone.

I never use it on an original file, only a copy. That way I can go back and redo things with clean data if I don't like the result.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Peter that all makes sense. A good summary.

Dave

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Richard

As others have said, you should be able to send them a full resolution jpeg image (ie max pixel dimensions) with a file size under 10MB if you select suitable quality settings for the jpeg compression. One thing to note is that the File Size shown on the Image Size Dialogue box is, as far as I know, the size that the file would be if saved as a PSD. This is quite different to the size if saved as a jpeg. You can get an idea of the size of the jpeg when you go through the Save As process.

If on the other hand, the web site is looking for images downsized for the web, you would be best to do this by simply changing the pixel dimensions in the Image Size box. Leave the ppi alone.

As a general comment, I've always found the Photoshop Image Size dialogue box very confusing and in my opinion, poorly designed. It appears (to this CS6 user) that it's changed a bit with the cc version but I'm not sure it's for the better!

With the Resample box unchecked, changing the ppi doesn't affect the pixel dimensions but it does change the XResolution and YResolution EXIF settings. This info may be used during printing from Photoshop, I don't know.

With the Resample box checked, changing the ppi does change the pixel dimensions but I'm at a loss as to why you would want to do this. It is far simpler and safer IMO to simply change the pixel dimensions directly.

Dave
    The shown image size is the size of that picture. He loaded this picture as 24 bit, 3x8.
    His first image takes 3636x3960x3=43195680 byte. With 1kB=1024B it makes 43195680/1024^2=41.2MB. Same with the other image. This size that will be compressed when saving as jpg.

George

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    His first image takes 3636x3960x3=43195680 byte. With 1kB=1024B it makes 43195680/1024^2=41.2MB.
    George
    Yes and this is the File Size you would get if you were to save this image as a flattened PSD or TIFF file with no compression.

Dave

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Yes and this is the File Size you would get if you were to save this image as a flattened PSD or TIFF file with no compression.

Dave
    I saved a NEF as a jpg, quality 90%, size 6016x4016. It was 7.183MB. At 100% it was 27.791MB.
    Assuming Richards file dimensions where 3636x3960 which is about 60% of my example. That would be roughly 4.31MB or 16.67MB.
    I know you can't do this calculations, just to give an idea. I think he just set his compression factor to low, which means his quality to high.

George

Real Name
    Philip

Changing the compression in the output file while keeping a high pixel count was first suggested by Ted in Post #2, then repeated in posts from several others (including me), and now again by George in Post #45. So, interesting as the intervening discussion might have been to some members, is this very simple procedure the actual solution to the problem that Richard described in Post #1?

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Changing the compression in the output file while keeping a high pixel count was first suggested by Ted in Post #2, then repeated in posts from several others (including me), and now again by George in Post #45. So, interesting as the intervening discussion might have been to some members, is this very simple procedure the actual solution to the problem that Richard described in Post #1?

Cheers.
    Philip
    I think it does, bearing in mind Richard's continued silence as to a maximum pixel dimension limit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123