Thread: Old squared Log Barn

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Old squared Log Barn

These low light shots are starting to really attract me. Posted this to get others opinions as I trust the people on the forum to be objective. Or subjective; whichever is your preferred stance.

This was shot in early July on a very dull cloudy morning. I went out hoping the skies would clear, never did. I decided to shoot some stuff anyway, from prior experience the low light seems to work for these structures ; sort of goes with the decrepitude.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Old squared Log Barn

Real Name
    John

Re: Old squared Log Barn

Doesn't look like lowlight, perhaps the golden hour though. Interesting bit of golden light and overcast sky, both don't seem to go together unless there was a significant break in the skies. Nicely framed.

Real Name
    Bruce

Trevor, nice photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    Greg

Nice subject, Trevor, although as John points out, it doesn't look like low light. Something seems a bit odd in the top under the eave: like you have tried to burn detail in the shadows?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Doesn't look like lowlight, perhaps the golden hour though. Interesting bit of golden light and overcast sky, both don't seem to go together unless there was a significant break in the skies. Nicely framed.
    I can see where the confusion over my labeling the light "low" arose.

This is the SOC shot. I exposed so the sky had almost blown out highlights, so I could get the maximum exposure on the barn. In processing the sky was darkened and the barn/field lightened. Almost like HDR, but more pleasant to my eyes (personal preference really) A soft pastel light.

Old squared Log Barn

Real Name
    Dan

I like it with the editing you did.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Nice subject, Trevor, although as John points out, it doesn't look like low light. Something seems a bit odd in the top under the eave: like you have tried to burn detail in the shadows?
    Thanks for noticing the strange area under the eaves
    I checked the original and the processed image. The problem arises because of the weird patch of not as weathered wood on the upper wall. The transition to the weathered grey and very furry (the wood has raised fibres) area under the eves and the rest of the wall is very weird I grant you. I will mull this one over

Real Name
    Dan

Really an interesting old structure, Trevor. I really like the angle that you chose and detail shows well. Not my genre but the composition just seems a bit tight. Of course if you framed it wider I'd probably complain that there was too much dead space

Real Name
    Brian

if you go back how about humoring me and try a shot from 45* placing the left corner in the center of the shot. The contrast in color and texture could be interesting.

I do like the old structures.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Really an interesting old structure, Trevor. I really like the angle that you chose and detail shows well. Not my genre but the composition just seems a bit tight. Of course if you framed it wider I'd probably complain that there was too much dead space
    A wider shot, to give you full latitude

Old squared Log Barn

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    if you go back how about humoring me and try a shot from 45* placing the left corner in the center of the shot. The contrast in color and texture could be interesting.

I do like the old structures.
    Good idea. I will out there this weekend. I will try your suggestion; circumstances permitting. I have a fair number of shots I want to take; time/muddy roads may be the limiting factors.