Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hornblower

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hornblower

The Hornblower is the tourist boat that takes passengers almost to the foot of the Horseshoe Falls at Niagara Falls.

In this shot, I have tried to show what it looks like when the boat with its raincoated covered passengers gets close to the Falls.

Hornblower

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Hornblower

Nicely composed and executed, Manfred. Gives a good perspective on the size of the falls, how close the boat is, and the fact that something is going on with all the people dressed in the same color

Real Name
    John

Now that brings back memories Manfred, Ponchos and all. You've caught the atmosphere perfectly. All that is missing is the noise. Nice shot.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Now that brings back memories Manfred, Ponchos and all. You've caught the atmosphere perfectly. All that is missing is the noise. Nice shot.
    Ditto, when I went (1977) the ponchos were yellow, but perhaps they still are on the "Maid of the Mist" series boats (presumably a rival company).

It was memorable!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Ditto, when I went (1977) the ponchos were yellow, but perhaps they still are on the "Maid of the Mist" series boats (presumably a rival company).

It was memorable!
    The Maid of the Mist is still sailing, albeit from the USA side only. The company lost the contract to operate from the Canadian side a number of years ago. Blue raincoats seem to be in favour for that operation.

Hornblower

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I always wondered what happened to the first three Maids

Are they still there?
    But got too close

Real Name
    Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I always wondered what happened to the first three Maids

Are they still there?
    But got too close
    Dave, I believe one of the other three is still running, but that franchise is decades old, and several of the boats have been retired. They must be kept in tip-top condition for the safety of the passengers and are over-powered to withstand the force of the current. Any weakness in the ship's frame or engine and they get rebuilt, or in some cases, after many years service, retired. The company has a dry-dock in the Niagara just a bit down river from the tourist boarding docks.

You cannot imagine the power and noise of the river at the base of the falls- until you actually experience it.

And it's always a great "target of opportunity" for 'togs.

Zen

Real Name
    Oscar

Nice images! I went to Canada in 2014 and took very similar images. I should post them in a separate thread to respect Manfred's images.

Real Name
    Greg

Good shots, Manfred. I understand the intention to show the part of the falls to put the boats in context but when I view them in lytebox the top half of each one is "cropped off" and both images look much more dramatic to me. Just an observation.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Good shots, Manfred. I understand the intention to show the part of the falls to put the boats in context but when I view them in lytebox the top half of each one is "cropped off" and both images look much more dramatic to me. Just an observation.

I did "work the scene" and did a number of shots along the lines that you are describing. I preferred the "context" of the first shot.

Hornblower