Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Karl & Kane

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Karl & Kane

My 94-year old father, Karl, doesn't get a chance to see his 2-year old great grandson, Kane, very often as Kane lives in Hong Kong while my father lives in Toronto, Canada. My dad still lives alone in the house I grew up in. Fortunately. my brother lives about a 5-minute drive away from him, so he has help available when he needs to get out as he gave up driving when he turned 90.

I've taken to putting a Speedlight in my camera bag when I'm on the road for use in these types if situations. We all got together at my brothers house for a few hours last week. Getting a shot of Kane with my father was a priority. Bouncing the Speedlight into the corner of the room was all I used to light the shot.

Karl & Kane
    Last edited by Manfred M; 10th August 2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Updated image

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Karl & Kane

Manfred, the shot worked well. You appear to have had a wall which did not provide a colour cast or did you do repair work in pp?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Manfred, the shot worked well. You appear to have had a wall which did not provide a colour cast or did you do repair work in pp?
    The ceiling is white and the wall did have a warm colour cast. I did end up making a very minor colour (cooling) adjustment. I tend to like my portraits very slightly on the warm side versus being completely neutral.

Real Name
    Richard

Great shot of two handsome guys!

Real Name
    Greg

Nice shot, Manfred. That doesn't look to me like a flash has been used at all.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Nice shot, Manfred. That doesn't look to me like a flash has been used at all.
    Thanks. The whole idea behind using flash is to make the scene look as if only ambient light was used, so it seems I have been successful. Often the only give away is the catch lights in the eyes; these are desirable because of the life they give to the eyes.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Real Name
    Zen

Great shot, Manfred, and a great family occasions! You are indeed fortunate to have your Dad still with you. I envy you.

Zen

A lovely shot - and an example of how a simple setup, in the right hands, often produces beautiful results. Helps to have handsome subjects, too.