Thread: "Still" Life (tongue in cheek)

Real Name
    Peter

"Still" Life (tongue in cheek)

Following on from my recent thread "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." This is a quick tour of a couple of the Scottish "Island" Distilleries.

As always your thoughts, comment or suggestions are welcome.

#1 The Isle of Jura distillery. The only room at this distillery that you cannot make a photograph within, is the still room. However you are allowed to make one from the doorway!

#2 This one shows the lower part of the far still in #1 above. I decided to leave it slightly skewed as to level the image would mean losing the top of the still. With hindsight I composed this one too tightly.

#3 One of Ugly Betty's companions at the Bruichladdich Distillery on the Isle of Islay. The Still-man had just opened the inspection hatch to take some readings, hence the steam I combined two images to get two sets of steam.

#4 This shows the base of the still shown in #3 above, some maintenance painting was going on at the time I made this image.

#5 Probably the most photographed Still on the Isle of Islay, this one is at the Ardbeg Distillery.

Real Name
    John

Re: "Still" Life (tongue in cheek)

Nice series.

Real Name
    Brian

Still and all it's a nice series (somebody had to say it)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Tongue in cheek and glass in hand? Definitely my kind of image making!

Suntory in Japan also had some very serious restrictions on shooting at their facilities. Frankly, if the stills are in service the whole area will be quite hot from heating the feedstock in the still, so restriction on entering an area like this in a production facility may not be ideal for the photographer, but it will certainly reduce the risk to the company.

Real Name
    Greg

Interesting set, Peter. Do they give free samples?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Interesting set, Peter. Do they give free samples?
    Greg

Most distilleries give you a sample (or two) during a distillery tour. At this one even passing cyclists were calling in for a sample without going on a tour!
    The drink driving laws in Scotland are quite strict (rightly so IMO) I had a sip of my choice of sample from the selection shown in the image. The guide then bottled the remaining malt so that I could enjoy it at my leisure having finished driving for the day.

I'm not sure if that mug of tea/coffee was to be enhanced with a Single Malt

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Tongue in cheek and glass in hand? Definitely my kind of image making!

Suntory in Japan also had some very serious restrictions on shooting at their facilities. Frankly, if the stills are in service the whole area will be quite hot from heating the feedstock in the still, so restriction on entering an area like this in a production facility may not be ideal for the photographer, but it will certainly reduce the risk to the company.
    Thanks Manfred,

Of the eight distilleries on the Isle of Islay two of them don't allow photography on the distillery tours (Coal Ila & Lagavulin). Of the other six, two of them (Bunnahabain & Ardbeg)whilst allowing photography on their tours do not allow photography within the still house. As I mentioned in my images above the Jura Distillery has this restriction but you could shoot through the doorway.

Here's another image which may be to your liking. This is the "computer" at the Bruichladdich Distillery, unlike some distilleries Bruichlladich isn't just a one man operation where the operator controls the process from within a control room. Some may say it's an old fashioned approach but it does employ more people than a similar sized modern distillery would.

This computer may have had some upgrades in its time, notice the ball pen on the clipboard

Last edited by ST1; 12th August 2018 at 08:23 AM.

Real Name
    Ole

Beautifully done. I shall salute with a Talisker.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I know it's sacrilegious, but I don't like Islay malts. Far too peatie (the taste of the peat used in the process) for me. I prefer the malt from that other island, Orkney - Highland Park.

However, these are very fine images.

Real Name
    Bill

Excellent series, super shots, and nice narrative Peter. They more than do justice to my favourite island and two of my favourite drops (I thnk Jura is hard to beat at its price point, and "the Laddy" is making some interesting stuff in its modern incarnation).

I've enountered the "No Photography" rule is several distilleries, one of which claimed it was a Customs and Excise rule - they were happy for me to fire away anywhere other than the still room.

I don't know if you picked this up at the Bruichladdich distillery, but they were one of the front runners in the "Artisan Gin" trend, with their wonderful Botanist.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Excellent series, super shots, and nice narrative Peter. They more than do justice to my favourite island and two of my favourite drops (I thnk Jura is hard to beat at its price point, and "the Laddy" is making some interesting stuff in its modern incarnation).

I've enountered the "No Photography" rule is several distilleries, one of which claimed it was a Customs and Excise rule - they were happy for me to fire away anywhere other than the still room.

I don't know if you picked this up at the Bruichladdich distillery, but they were one of the front runners in the "Artisan Gin" trend, with their wonderful Botanist.
    Hi Bill, I did know about the Laddy Gin it’s distilled using “Ugly Betty “ as shown in one of the images in this thread.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

A lovely series. A quip attributed to Churchill comes to mind. Looking around a well-stocked hotel or club bar, he supposedly said: "So much to do; so little time."