Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I have never rented a camera

Real Name
    Richard

I have never rented a camera

However, I have decided to rent the Sony A7iii with a Metabones Adapter . I want to try all of my Canon lenses with this camera.

I am going out on a model shoot in a few minutes. I added a SWIVI viewer to my 6D2 and will use the live view for focusing. I will try both the single point and face detect AF with the live view. This should give me a high enough AF point to cover the eyes...

The camera with the SWIVI and also a Godox Xpro trigger plus my 85mm f/1.8 lens is quite a large package but it seems to balance fairly well.

Hopefully, I will be successful and like using the camera that way. Not the best setup for walk around photography but just fine for a model shoot!

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: I have never rented a camera

You rented an A7iii and you're not going to try out Eye AF?

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018...-af-explained/

Also, if you're using flash with mirrorless, you typically want to avoid electronic/silent shutter, and I think that electronic first-curtain shutter can cause banding, so you'll want to avoid those settings and stick with mechanical shutter.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: I have never rented a camera

Thanks Kathy, I will keep this in mind.
    I was at a photoshoot last night using the Streaklight 360TTL as OCF and the XTPro trigger on my Canon 6D2. The combination worked flawlessly but, I was using LiveView on the Canon 6D2 to take advantage of the full screen of focus points that method allows. It worked fine but, I really like a TTL viewfinder. That's why I am considering the A7iii especially for its eye detect AF.
    I was shooting the 6D2 using single point AF in LiveView. I had planned to try Face Detect AF to see if it will focus on the subject's eyes as well as the slower but, pretty accurate single point AF. I got involved in the shoot and forgot to try face detect.
    I added the Swivi Foldable LCD Viewer which shields the LCD from the bright sun and allows me to see the image.

This image was shot with the 85mm Canon f/1.8 lens at f/2

This one was shot with my old Tokina 28-70mm ATX at 70mm using f/2.8

I was able to lock focus on the eyes no matter where in the frame that the eyes are located. That was something that I could not do using the TTL viewfinder on the 6D2 with the AF Array clustered in the center of the frame.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 13th August 2018 at 02:48 PM.