Thread: Donalds weather

Real Name
    Peter

Donalds weather

In a recent thread of mine Greg made reference that my images of Scotland showed better weather than Donald's images. I'm not sure who said it but it goes like this or something along these lines "there's no bad weather just incorrect clothes".
    Anyway back to the subject. This image was made after I had been on a Distillery tour on the Isle of Jura, the view from Craighouse looking North (ISH). As you can see this weather is of the type that Donald prefers to sunshine and blue cloudless sky.
    I personally don't mind either, providing of course that I have the correct clothing

Donalds weather

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Donalds weather

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    I'm not sure who said it but it goes like this or something along these lines "there's no bad weather just incorrect clothes".
    And the rain doesn't go any further than skin deep!

Peter that is excellent image. The pier gives a very solid 'end stop' at the right hand side. The shore line and the houses provide good leading lines into the back of the picture. The tone on the background hills give a good sense of depth. The one thing I wondered about was the bits of seaweed along the bottom, but you are absolutely right in having them there. It helps to make a frame for the image.

Well done, I think that is real quality image. The moral of the story? Have a few drams before you go out capturing pictures.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture, the pier adds a bit of warmth to the composition as well.

Real Name
    Bill

Nice image Peter - you've clearly had a great time in the Islands.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice shot Peter. That little bit of colour added by the floats at the bottom right adds just the right amount of brightness into the scene. Those low and moody clouds are definitely an asset that works well too.

I agree about the bad weather sentiment too. Some very nice image making can occur in those conditions and the landscape photographer doesn't have worry about just shooting during golden hour and blue hour.

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    ..."there's no bad weather just incorrect clothes".
    That is kind of a proverb in my country where I think the language adds a little more snap to it because our words for weather and clothes rhyme. Imagine there was an English word "cleather" meaning "clothes": "there is no bad weather, only bad cleather".

Some take it further, imagine English had a word "kneather" meaning "knees": "there is no bad weather, only bad kneather", which is of course an excuse for staying indoor. There is also a variant: "there is no bad weather, only bad beather", my new word "beather" meaning "berries". An excuse for not participating in picking wild berries this time of the year, especially if it is wet and nasty outside. There are probably even a few more variants, and they all rhyme with our word for "weather".
    --
    Hmm, new English words cleather, kneather and beather were invented for this posting by Odd S.

Real Name
    Brian

Agree with everyone. Question Time!

How did you combine (create?) the fine detail of the pier and the houses?

Real Name
    Greg

Nice shot, Peter. I think Donald and Manfred have said it all. Right now I am sure everyone here would love some of that weather as we are in the grip of drought which has been going on for 8 years. The national herd is being decimated, the eastern states are out of fodder and we are heading into summer and the bushfire season. Our unrelenting fine days with cloudless blue skies is atrocious weather.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Agree with everyone. Question Time!

How did you combine (create?) the fine detail of the pier and the houses?
    Brian

As Donald suggested it may have been that the sip of the Jura Single Malt I had on the distillery tour assisted in the making of the image .

Seriously though, I have attached a view of the original Raw file, which includes the Exif which shows the point within the image (the red outlined focus point) where I chose to focus. The text on the attached image details the hyper-focal distance given my chosen f stop (f16 in this case). You will also see that I chose to crop the image during post processing to 16x9 (Ish) to lose some of the foreground. Had the tide been in I probably wouldn't have cropped the image.

I hope this helps answer your question?

Donalds weather
    Last edited by ST1; 14th August 2018 at 07:28 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Nice shot, Peter. I think Donald and Manfred have said it all. Right now I am sure everyone here would love some of that weather as we are in the grip of drought which has been going on for 8 years. The national herd is being decimated, the eastern states are out of fodder and we are heading into summer and the bushfire season. Our unrelenting fine days with cloudless blue skies is atrocious weather.
    Greg,
    I have seen reports in the UK news media describing the conditions that you're experiencing. We have friends that have lived in South Penrith for around thirty six years. On their recent retirement they have sold up there and moved to Nelson Bay as the Sydney weather was getting to be much too hot for them.

Real Name
    Brian

Yews it does, thanks this is a technique i should become comfortable with for macro?