Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He Returns with a trip to the beach

He Returns with a trip to the beach

Well, it's been a while... I have had a full knee replacement, moved house once already and am dealing with my partner's cancer to the point where I can rekindle my interests in photography. We are even buying a house now ( so a second move) - all this within six months...

Anyway on my first trip out with my new knee I took a Nikon Df to the beach at Muriwai in June. At that time there were not any gannets (they turn up in August mostly), but I was rewarded for my efforts with the sight of salt air blowing on-shore from a brisk westerly.

He Returns with a trip to the beach
    Gory details Nikon Df with 24-120 f4 lens: f11, 1/640, ISO200 at 120mm

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: He Returns with a trip to the beach

Wonderful to see you back.

"We are even buying a house now ( so a second move)". God, you're a glutton for punishment.

I admire the resilience that you and your partner have. So, so good to see you back on here.

ps - It's a pretty good image as well!

Hi Donald:
    Thank you for your kind welcome!
    Yep, our second move in six months. The first one was forced on us - the day Hilary got her diagnosis our landlord announced they were selling our apartment - not a stellar day really. We were lucky to find something acceptable at really short notice. While this place is better than where we were before, having spent four months through the winter in our current location (a 2004 townhouse) I am firmly established in my belief that most NZ houses have pathetic insulation! It has been a very cold, dank, miserable winter and I was determined to move to a house that had insulation in floors, walls and ceilings, and had double-glazing. We seem to have found one and are going through the due diligence to finalize a deal.

Real Name
    Judith

welcome back--glad your new knee is working!

Thank you Judith! It's nice to be able to re-connect!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Good to hear from you again.

We had a similar year back in 2012; I had to have my heel and ankle bone fused because of severe arthritis in the joint (almost 6 months in a cast and off work) while my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and had the full works thrown at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Good to hear from you again.

We had a similar year back in 2012; I had to have my heel and ankle bone fused because of severe arthritis in the joint (almost 6 months in a cast and off work) while my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and had the full works thrown at her.
    Well my friend, I can completely empathize with you... We are holding the line and making each day count, as I am sure you have done too.

Real Name
    John

Welcome back and with a nice moody image to boot.

Welcome back Trev. Good to hear that you are doing well again.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Trev - Glad to see you have return. I had a note on my calendar that would pop up and remind me that you were dealing with knee problems. Glad to hear that you are better and that your partner is doing okay as well.

Interesting picture!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Best wishes to you both and may all go well with you.
    k

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome back, very happy that you and your partners coping so well. Hopefully you will not have unpacked everything from your first move. And as Donald noted... a pretty good image too.

Real Name
    Bill

+1 to Donald's comments.

Real Name
    Bill

[QUOTE=Tronhard;719359]... having spent four months through the winter in our current location (a 2004 townhouse) I am firmly established in my belief that most NZ houses have pathetic insulation! ...QUOTE]

When we were in Australia I had several business trips to NZ, but the coldest I ever was "Downunder" was in Tassie. It made Auckland (and even Welligton and CHCH) seem positively sub-tropical.

Hope things are going well Trev.

Real Name
    Peter

Welcome back Trev, I wish you and your partner well for the future and settling in to your new home once you complete the deal.
    I do like the beach image the people walking along it help with a sense of scale.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Welcome back Trev, the image is a stunner I love the those beautiful muted tones.
    I'm more than glad too, that you and your partner are 'holding the line', long may it continue so

Real Name
    Richard

Welcome back and I wish you the best in life. Really magical image!

We had a bit of a scare recently when my wife was called back for a second mammogram. The technician who called to schedule the second shot could not or was not allowed to provide the reason why the second mammogram was ordered.

Thankfully, it turned out that there had been an equipment error when the first mammogram was shot.

I can see why they would not want a technician discussing the results of a mammogram with a patient but, perhaps there could be some leeway in a case like this. I would certainly have been an easier few days for us if we had known the reason that the mammogram needed to be repeated...

Many thanks to Judith, John, Rita, Sandy, Ken, Brian, Bill, Peter, James and Richard for you kind thoughts and words. It feels like coming out of the dark and back into the light, and it is great to have such warm welcomes! I have missed the forum, but there just wasn't the time and I needed to be in right mind-space.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Welcome back and I wish you the best in life. Really magical image!

We had a bit of a scare recently when my wife was called back for a second mammogram. The technician who called to schedule the second shot could not or was not allowed to provide the reason why the second mammogram was ordered.

Thankfully, it turned out that there had been an equipment error when the first mammogram was shot.

I can see why they would not want a technician discussing the results of a mammogram with a patient but, perhaps there could be some leeway in a case like this. I would certainly have been an easier few days for us if we had known the reason that the mammogram needed to be repeated...
    We have had the same type of anxiety for our own scans. I feel for the technician: they are under a strict embargo not to reveal what they think they see as they are not necessarily qualified or have the level of authority to make a call. I think the post scan reviews are done with great care and a conservative mindset - no-one wants them to miss a developing cancer - which actually happened to Hilary.

Real Name
    Bruce

Hi Trev, I've been wondering for some time how you and Hilary have been doing. So it's good to hear that you're holding your own.

As for the cold damp winters, perhaps this is also a symptom that by judicious travel you'd managed to evade winter for several previous years?

I very much like the photo of the beach, including its mist. If you were up here you'd be seeing somewhat similar opacity but caused by forest fire smoke from the interior of the province. Even with the sky finally appearing blue today, I noticed smoke haze over the waterway which you may recall is at the bottom of our street.

I was intrigued that the photo was shot with a Nikon. Most of your other cameras are all still Canon? Or did you convert?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast