Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Project 52: Week 34, Ada and Kat

Real Name
    Bill

Project 52: Week 34, Ada and Kat

I had the opportunity to join a small group for a portrait photoshoot at the Riverside Museum in Glasgow. We were mentored by a semi-Pro and there were two models, Ada and Kat. I was really looking forward to it becasue of the combination of location and availability of advice from an expert.

The former turned out to be a mixed bag. Although the group had permission to shoot in the museum, we had to work with the visitors - who were there in droves! The mentoring was good though and we got much better opportunities in the outside waterfront areas.

The museum itself is a modern, prize-winning building and one I intend to visit for a dawn or dusk shoot sans people.

1: A couple of shots of the building exterior:

Project 52:  Week 34, Ada and Kat

2: Ada:

First is the only "keeper" from the inside location

3: Kat:

As you can see, Kat was quite different in appearance to Ada. The good news is that made things interesting. The bad news is that she had very soft features with not a lot of contrast and I found it very difficult to get anything I liked from the shots of her.

Real Name
    John

Re: Project 52: Week 34, Ada and Kat

Nice efforts, I take it flash was used for the interior shots, did the instructor suggest using it outside as well?

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks John.

Yes, I used a low power off-camera flash for the first shot of Ada, but all the exterior ones of both models were natural light only (no fill or kick flash). He did have a soft box but did not have a trigger that would work with my camera (although they did offer to round one up, I felt the light was OK and let it be).

Real Name
    roy

Bill If you had used a flash outside you should have got catchlights in the eyes.
    Roy

Real Name
    Bill

Roy,

Thanks for commenting. Yes, that's correct but I didn't go that way because it wasn't needed for the exposure and they can be added in PP (but I was happy with them not being there so chose not to 'fake it' ). The closest I came to doing anything was to think about either removing or toning down the ones in the interior shot.

Real Name
    David

The "keeper" of Ada is very nice. If it were mine (I wish!) I might consider toning down the reflection of the arms a little?

David

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Bill - You had a busy day! #1 - cool exterior. Is that a mirror of some sort that is reflecting the city? And the same for #2, a glass exterior reflecting power lines, boat masts? Expression from my teen years - totally cool!

I know very little about portraits other than when I see something I like. So the first one of Ada and the last one of Kate that you posted are my favorites! And you do have catchlight in both!

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks Sandy.

#1: This is a window in the wall of the museum In #2 the model is posing in front of the glass wall at that runs along the length of the front of the museum and the reflections are the masts of a Tall Ship berthed in the river.

As far as the portraits go, the day was a mega disappointment in regard to images captured but a great success in regard to what I learned. The one of Ada was the best and I've spent a bit of time on it - it's still not great but is nearer to what I was trying to get. Here's the updated version:

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks David. There is an update in my reply to Judith below.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi Bill - I appreciate the explanation about the building and what the reflections are. Thank you!

In your updated work on Ada, you may have lost a bit of detail of her hair by darkening the background? But I do like that the arm reflections have been toned down and her features are brought out better. Also I note that you've adjusted her lips a little bit to get rid of the slight gap that was in the first one?

Overall, I like the changes you made!

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks Sandy