Thread: Lost in the Noise; New Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF

Real Name
    Dan

Lost in the Noise; New Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF

On the same day that Nikon announced the Z series mirrorless cameras they also announced their newest lens utilizing "phase fresnel" technology. It is a 500mm f5.6 prime lens that is roughly the size of a 70-200mm f2.8, It is just over 9 inches long(237mm) and weighs 3.25lbs(1.5kg). Compare to the current smallest option for native 500mm(i.e.no TC), the 200-500mm, which is about 15 inches long and weighs in at five pounds(2.3kg). The price is listed at about three times more than the 200-500mm and about 1/3 the price of the 500mm f4. If it comes anywhere close to matching the advertised MTF charts it will be incredible.

Real Name
    John

Re: Lost in the Noise; New Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF

Perhaps it just means that Nikon is saturating the market with too many products too soon, photographers are still buzzing about the D500, D850, D850, and 200-500mm that any new item gets buried beneath the coverage these items are still getting. Plus, todays Nikon's marketing campaigns lack the fanfare of previous years with their product spokespersons and splashy commercials.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Looks like a very promising product for wildlife work. It is still a niche product and that is certainly reflected in the price.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Looks like a very promising product for wildlife work. It is still a niche product and that is certainly reflected in the price.
    Unfortunately I happen to fit in that niche...

Real Name
    Janis

As a grateful owner of the 300 mm PF, you can bet I didn't miss this announcement, Dan. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, if and when you take the plunge.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    As a grateful owner of the 300 mm PF, you can bet I didn't miss this announcement, Dan. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, if and when you take the plunge.
    Janice, this is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a piece of equipment. I placed an order about half way between the announcement and release. Needless to say I was not among those who received the first batch of lenses shipped. No idea when it will arrive.

Real Name
    Janis

Oh, I am excited for you! I might well indulge but for the fact that I may be renovating the house this year.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Oh, I am excited for you! I might well indulge but for the fact that I may be renovating the house this year.
    My financial manager is forcing me to sell part of existing inventory to fund the purchase

And in all fairness I do have a bit of overlap in focal lengths...

Real Name
    Bill

I'm posting this in the interests of keeping the discussion on the lens going, and not as a commentary on Dan's decision (and I am assuming his financial manager doesn't read CIC posts) ...

My response to the 500PF (and its price) was to shake my head in disbelief. If someone wants a long lens and doesn't mind the weight, the excellent zoom 200-500 is far better value for money and if the weight does matter, the (also excellent) 300PF + 1.4TC gets you pretty well there for a smaller outlay. The lack of wiggle room left between these two options suggests that this may not be one of Nikon's best sellers.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    ...My response to the 500PF (and its price) was to shake my head in disbelief.... this may not be one of Nikon's best sellers.
    You know, you make a good point. And I agree(ever notice how intelligent people seem who have the same opinions as one's self?). Though the volume of pre-orders suggest we may both be wrong.

But still, your comment reminded me that just shortly after I purchased the AF-S version of the 80-400mm it was included in one of Nikon's "lens only" sales at a significant discount. Granted that was many months after the lens was released but still... So perhaps the fiscally wise thing to do would be to put off purchasing for a few months to see if indeed sales soften and an opportunity to save a significant sum presents itself.

We'll likely be travelling down under in November and I'd hoped to have the 500 by then. But I may just have to get by with the 300 w/1.4x