Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Repaired and ready to go

Real Name
    David

Repaired and ready to go

I saw these fishermen's pots on the quayside and liked the pattern created by the way they were stacked. I could not fill the frame so some slight cropping was needed to concentrate solely on the pots. The coloured twine either adds to picture or its random elements detract from the regular shapes; either way, sadly, it is most likely synthetic, and not biodegradable.

I have used some vignetting and the extremes are (intentionally) not in sharp focus. Was I too timid in using f/11? Should I have been bolder and stopped down more or would it have been better with the whole picture nice and sharp?

Of course I now realise I should have taken mutliple shots at different appertures!

I will be interested in your comments on whether image works for you or could do so.

Repaired and ready to go

Real Name
    Judith

Re: Repaired and ready to go

I love shots like this. It is always a challenge to find a composition that really works. You have noted several different options. Let me add another: eliminate the curved ends on the left. These add a curved line which competes with the straight(ish) lines of the sides and are bold enough to really distract. Cropping away the left half of the image may seem extreme but try it and see what you think. Another obvious option is to eliminate the right half of the image and concentrate on the curved ends. Either one is worth adding to you alternatives.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    I love shots like this. It is always a challenge to find a composition that really works. You have noted several different options. Let me add another: eliminate the curved ends on the left. These add a curved line which competes with the straight(ish) lines of the sides and are bold enough to really distract. Cropping away the left half of the image may seem extreme but try it and see what you think. Another obvious option is to eliminate the right half of the image and concentrate on the curved ends. Either one is worth adding to you alternatives.
    Thank you for commenting, and I have now tried the crops you suggested. They are quite drastic and certainly provide quite different images to the one I originally posted.

The rationale behind the original was that a point of view showing the corner and two sides of the pile might provide a more interesting view than shooting one side only (rather like say a shooting car or boat).

So here are the two cropped images.

Sides:

Repaired and ready to go

Ends:

Repaired and ready to go

Edited to clarify sides and ends

Real Name
    Judith

Glad you tried it and can choose what suits you best. I find that when I am trying to document something, that is show all of it, I have to be often work hard to end up with an interesting photo. And when I am trying for an interesting photo I may not really document the thing I am photographing. Sometimes I can get both. In any case, looking at different angles is educational and challenging! I look forward to more of your work.

Real Name
    Greg

The revised versions are much better I think, David. These pots are by their nature a busy subject and there is plenty of scope for more photos in there. For example, getting in close and focusing on the repeating pattern of knots on section of the frame.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    I find that when I am trying to document something, that is show all of it, I have to often work hard to end up with an interesting photo. And when I am trying for an interesting photo I may not really document the thing I am photographing. Sometimes I can get both.
    I fnd that too, Judith. Most of my shots fall into the former category, but I would like to develop an eye for an interesting photo and this subject matter was an opportunity that I should have taken more advantage of.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    The revised versions are much better I think, David. These pots are by their nature a busy subject and there is plenty of scope for more photos in there. For example, getting in close and focusing on the repeating pattern of knots on section of the frame.
    That is a good idea, Greg. I would not normally think of a close-up that is that close up (!) but that is exactly what I should include in "working the scene" as Manfred encourages us to do.

So much to practice before it becomes ingrained...