Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

As the northern insect photography begins to slow down because of approaching cooler conditions it can present opportunities to switch over to fungi photography.

Fungi can be tricky subjects, for many reasons, and I often find my superb shots don't look so good when viewed on a full size computer screen.

However, it can be an interesting challenge. So here are a few of my recent attempts, mostly with a few elements which didn't quite work.

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

So let's see who can do better?

Real Name
    David

Re: Any Fungi Photos?

A very nice series, Geoff. They work very well for me. They have such a variety of shapes, textures and colours.

Real Name
    Sandy

Your photo work is definitely interesting. #3 with the cupping of the top. brown background and bit of green grass is my favorite.
    I haven't seen any fungi in our landscape. I'll have to check more closely!

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Dan

Nice set. I really like the shot. The detail really reveals the intricacy of the microscape.

Well it just so happens that I noticed some interesting looking fungi while walking the dog a couple of days ago. Went back yesterday for a shot or two. Not my normal subject matter and much more difficult than I expected to get the right feel to the image. Harsh lighting wasn't cooperating either. Then this thread popped up. Since I don't believe in coincidence, I'll throw my efforts out there with the understanding that by no means am I suggesting they are superior to those above. Just sharing

Nikon D810, 70-200mm f4, handheld

1)
    Any Fungi Photos?

2)
    Any Fungi Photos?

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff and Dan, thanks for posting your fungal images. I haven't noticed any fall/autumn fungi here yet. Until a week or so ago we still had warm weather although the forest fire smoke thankfully (for us) blew away, presumably back to the mainland from whence most of it had come.

Real Name
    Greg

Geoff and Dan, nice set of images both. I'm surprised by the variety of species.

There is a vast range of fungi species available, Greg, but unfortunately so many are very difficult/impossible to fully identify.

Here is one from today which I can't identify.

Any Fungi Photos?

The round heads are rising up on fairly thin stems; which is confusing me. If it was very stout and short stems I would have an answer.

Several others waiting to be processed and an attempt at identification.

I assume, Dan, that your first fungus is the seriously poisonous Fly Agaric before the cap has fully expanded. The second one looks a bit like Honey Fungus.

Where possible, I also get a shot of the gills and sometimes take a sample home to do a spore print in order to help with identification. But so often I consider myself lucky just to reach family level.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    There is a vast range of fungi species available, Greg, but unfortunately so many are very difficult/impossible to fully identify.

Any Fungi Photos?

The round heads are rising up on fairly thin stems; which is confusing me. If it was very stout and short stems I would have an answer.

Several others waiting to be processed and an attempt at identification.

I assume, Dan, that your first fungus is the seriously poisonous Fly Agaric before the cap has fully expanded. The second one looks a bit like Honey Fungus.

Where possible, I also get a shot of the gills and sometimes take a sample home to do a spore print in order to help with identification. But so often I consider myself lucky just to reach family level.
    Geoff, I thought I could identify these. They looked like potatoes.. -- until I noticed one of them has a stalk.

Real Name
    Greg

Any Fungi Photos?
    Most of what I see look like the those in post #8 which I would probably mistake for mushrooms. A year of two ago I saw one of the red ones that Dan posted for the first time and not another since. So it is quite fascinating to see the different varieties you post here.

Here are a few more recent images. Starting with an easy one, Sulphur Tuft.

Any Fungi Photos?

And some yet to be identified.

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Anybody else got any fungi photos?

Real Name
    Sandy

Excellent photos. I haven't seen any fungi yet......

Are you sure your area isn't headed back into spring weather?

It is a bit of dampness and some cooler autumn night temperatures which trigger them into action, Sandy.

Here is a different form. These can reach 12 inches across but this one was half that amount. Often tricky to photograph because they tend to hide in difficult to photograph darker areas.

Ganoderma australe

Any Fungi Photos?

Real Name
    David

...These can reach 12 inches across but this one was half that amount. Often tricky to photograph because they tend to hide in difficult to photograph darker areas.

Ganoderma australe
    Any Fungi Photos?
    I have something similar to this between my compost heap and fence so it is fairly inaccessible! If I can take a photo I will post it, but I am sure I won't meet the standard you have set, Geoff.

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, this fungus appears to be growing out of the side of a log. Is that correct?
    These go by the broad generic name here of bracket fungi – for those who do not attempt a more specific identification.

Real Name
    Dave

I don't think you have any problems with your photos, Geoff. All excellent IMO.

I also really like your second shot, Dan.

Here are a couple from east London in the last few days.

I'm told the first one is probably Coprinopsis lagopus

Any Fungi Photos?

This one is growing out of a tree trunk that was burnt in a recent grass fire and that it might be one of the oyster mushrooms, possibly Pleurotus cornucopiae.

Any Fungi Photos?

While I was out with the dog earlier this morning I saw my first Parasol mushrooms (Macrolepiota procera or Lepiota procera) of this year. They are just about the only mushroom I am fairly confident in identifying. Unfortunately others had spotted them before me and decided to destroy them.

Dave

Those suggested identifications sound plausible, Dave. Coprinus is a rather wide ranging family and it seems strange how those lagopus (or virtually identical lagodides) start off as conical caps then end up looking like dinner plates on sticks.

The Parasol Mushrooms seem to mostly occur around the coast here, so I should make a point of visiting some of those areas soon.

Real Name
    Ron

As the northern insect photography begins to slow down because of approaching cooler conditions it can present opportunities to switch over to fungi photography.

Fungi can be tricky subjects, for many reasons, and I often find my superb shots don't look so good when viewed on a full size computer screen.

However, it can be an interesting challenge. So here are a few of my recent attempts, mostly with a few elements which didn't quite work.

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

Any Fungi Photos?

So let's see who can do better?

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, nice photographs.

Bruce

Real Name
    Judith

Not better--but good enought to join the party!

Any Fungi Photos?Seattle Fall-3 by urbanflyer, on Flickr

Any Fungi Photos?Seattle Fall-2 by urbanflyer, on Flickr

Any Fungi Photos?Sycamore Grove 20161103_111629a by urbanflyer, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast