Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: High and Dry

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

High and Dry

We got to the ferry dock at L'Isle aux Coudres just as the ferry back to the mainland was pulling out, so I had about 30 minutes to wander around before the next ferry.

This part of the St Lawrence River is tidal and we happen to be at low tide. The boats tied up in the local harbour were high and dry. The tugboat was the most interesting subject so I shot it sitting tied to the dock and on the wet mud.

High and Dry

Real Name
    Dan

Re: High and Dry

Looks like a fairly substantial tide. Nice capture.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Looks like a fairly substantial tide. Nice capture.
    Thanks. I just checked the tide tables for this location and it looks like the difference between low tide and high tide can exceed 6m / 20 ft. It looks like I took the shot about 1 hour after low tide.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 8th September 2018 at 09:58 PM.

Real Name
    Kay

Nice composition, lots of small details around the boat, with the balance of the space on the mud ‘side’.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    We got to the ferry dock at L'Isle aux Coudres just as the ferry back to the mainland was pulling out, so I had about 30 minutes to wander around before the next ferry.

This part of the St Lawrence River is tidal and we happen to be at low tide. The boats tied up in the local harbour were high and dry. The tugboat was the most interesting subject so I shot it sitting tied to the dock and on the wet mud.

High and Dry
    I just cam back from holidays to Bretagne in France. Also some 6 m difference between high and low.
    That boat is docked to a floating quay. The stairs are on 1 side fixed to the wall and on the other side, on the floating quay,fixed flexible to the quay, probably using those sliders under it.

George

Real Name
    Greg

That's a well composed image, Manfred. The converging lines of the handrails which lead the viewer into the scene are repeated in the ropes securing the boat. The right hand rail is also paralleled by the water channel that leads to the back of frame where you have used the embankment to frame the scene. The square shape of the embankment is repeated by the square shape of the boat's cabin, and again with the jetty itself. Well done.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I just cam back from holidays to Bretagne in France. Also some 6 m difference between high and low.
    That boat is docked to a floating quay. The stairs are on 1 side fixed to the wall and on the other side, on the floating quay,fixed flexible to the quay, probably using those sliders under it.

George
    You have accurately described the way that the dock and access ramp are set up.

We had been on a boat tour of the Saguenay Fjord, which starts a bit down river from this location. When we boarded the boat we had to walk down the ramp to get to the boat deck. When we got back to the dock several hours later, we had to walk down the ramp to exit the boat; the water level was at least 2m / 6ft higher when we got back.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    That's a well composed image, Manfred. The converging lines of the handrails which lead the viewer into the scene are repeated in the ropes securing the boat. The right hand rail is also paralleled by the water channel that leads to the back of frame where you have used the embankment to frame the scene. The square shape of the embankment is repeated by the square shape of the boat's cabin, and again with the jetty itself. Well done.
    Same thoughts here as well. I think that the tides on that NE coast area are generally high. They are at there most extreme in the bay of Fundy, north of Nova scotia where I seem to remember, the tidal range is the highest on the Planet.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Same thoughts here as well. I think that the tides on that NE coast area are generally high. They are at there most extreme in the bay of Fundy, north of Nova scotia where I seem to remember, the tidal range is the highest on the Planet.
    Yes; Minas Basin on the Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world and they get to around 16m / 53 ft as a maximum in that area. I've been in the area a number of times, but was never around when the tide was in.

I remember being at Joggins Cliff in Nova Scotia, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and having to wait around until the tide was out before the guides would take the people out to view the site from the base of the cliffs. The tides there are a "mere" 13m or 43ft.