Thread: Watergate Sneek, The Netherlands

Real Name
    Arnold

Watergate Sneek, The Netherlands

Watergate Sneek, The Netherlands

The water gate was probably built around 1492, at the same time as the city wall around the city. The gate served to close the access by water to the city. The water gate was built on the Hoogendsterpipe (a pipe is a narrow water passage). In 1613 the gate was converted into an ornamental gate because it no longer had a military function. From that moment on, the main port has its current appearance. The architect is otherwise unknown. In 1757 a thorough renovation followed.

Real Name
    John

Re: Watergate Sneek, The Netherlands

Nice effort, a bit of banding/vignette in the corner though.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Watergate Sneek, The Netherlands

It looks like a very beautiful bridge and gate. You have the camera nice and level, so the there little or no perspective distortion in the shot. I think you are close on your image, but there are a few things that are not working as well as they could.

First of all, the crop is very tight and the whole shot looks just a little too cramped. I don't know if this is a cropped image and you ave more space or if this is something you did deliberately because of other elements in the view that you were trying to avoid. I also agree with John; the vignetting is definitely noticeable and takes away from an otherwise fine image.