Thread: Renaming files

Real Name
    George

Renaming files

Back from holidays I loaded the pictures on the pc. I save them in maps by date and rename them using a prefix, date taken and a sequence number. I got that from CaptureNx2. I never had problems with that. But now I noticed that the date taken was wrong.
    On this pc I'm using win10. Looking at the file info it says by example date made Friday 8 june 2018 and date changed Wednesday 16 may. Date changed before date created?? Now I've a lot of double file names and even more wrong file names.
    Anybody knows this problem?

George

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

re: Renaming files

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    ...On this pc I'm using win10. Looking at the file info it says by example date made Friday 8 june 2018 and date changed Wednesday 16 may.
    I don't remember seeing date confusion cases identical to yours. I use W10 and have CaptureNX2 installed, but it is no longer part of my normal workflow. No luck in reproducing the problem you describe, so far.

Are you looking at a NEFs from the camera and then edited in CNX2 and saved, or are they NEFs produced via CNX2 "File Save As", or are you looking at images exported to a different file format (TIFF, JPEG...) and if so, exported from what application?

What application do you use when examining "file info"? I have seen metadata field name variations among applications. Created date may or may not be the image capture date and so on.

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    George

I think I found the problem. Not sure yet, it's late here.
    I purchased a D750 and that camera is not supported in CaptureNx2. However I was able to rename the files. Not strange since I don't have to read the file, I thought. The program took the date from windows and there another confusion came. I'll try to write it down structural tomorrow.

George

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I think I found the problem. Not sure yet, it's late here.
    I purchased a D750 and that camera is not supported in CaptureNx2. However I was able to rename the files. Not strange since I don't have to read the file, I thought. The program took the date from windows and there another confusion came. I'll try to write it down structural tomorrow.

George
    Maybe you just need to update to CaptureNxD https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/B...d=1&lang=en_GB

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Was going to suggest the fault may lie with the date your computer thinks it is.

Still on Win7 here so cannot help further

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Maybe you just need to update to CaptureNxD https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/B...d=1&lang=en_GB
    I've NxD. But I can't rename in the same way: prefix_date-number.

George

Real Name
    George

Very confusing.
    You must distinguish between dates from the file system and from the file sec.
    The file system is what you get when you right click on a file and check the properties. You find date created and date modified. They have a different meaning as what you might expect.Date created is the last date the file is written to disk. If you copy the file the date created is changed. Not when you move the file but I never used that. The date modified is the date the file first was written to disk. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

In the image file, raw or otherwise, there're dates to: datetime original and datetime digitized. From IrfanView.

In my case CaptureNx2 took the right date from the raw file when using the D700. When using the D750 it took the wrong date from the file system. Unless I copied the files the same day to the disk, which I usual do. Then those two date are the same. Pfff.

Now find a solution for this.

George

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

...Now find a solution for this.
    What applications depend on your current file names and will break or be confused if you just rename the files?
    (any database/DAM context involved?)

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    What applications depend on your current file names and will break or be confused if you just rename the files?
    (any database/DAM context involved?)

--
    Odd S.
    None. I just use this renaming for 10 years. I recognize the file as being mine. And I can easy see when they're made and go back to the right folder.
    I'll try to change the system date, go to a 'wrong' directory, copy the files to another place and copy them back again. And see what happens.

George

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Can you just do a batch filename change to a different date? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-r...ulk-windows-10

Annoying but not difficult.

Real Name
    Md. Sony

Hello Guys,

I also faced the same issue with my windows 10. Looking for a quick fix.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Can you just do a batch filename change to a different date? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-r...ulk-windows-10

Annoying but not difficult.
    Lucky I had the files of the different camera's in different folders. I went to folder 1, cut it to another place, changed systemdate, copied back again and started the renaming process. And next folder.
    As long I do transfer the pictures to the pc directly there's no problem.
    Something to remember.
    I think I could have used your link too. And maybe easier using the jokers within the file name.

George

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by Clipping Path Services View Post
    ...Looking for a quick fix.
    If you are in the same situation as George was, you should be able to use his solution.

Firstly, he had no application depending on "old" file names (no Ligthroom database, no Capture One database/session or similar). Companion files (xmp, jpeg, tiff...) may also add a little complexity.

Secondly, it appears that George could amend a collection (a folder full) of file names using a static replacement string (system date). The procedure will be slightly more complex if individual replacement strings depend on the capture time stored inside each image file rather than on (fake) system date at runtime.

--
    Odd S.