Thread: Crowded Beaches

Crowded Beaches

As the saying goes: "If the woman in front of me didn't have her ears pierced I'd never have seen the water".

This was the crowded part of the beach at Mission Bay in the heart of Auckland City at the height of summer.

Crowded Beaches

One day, as I was by the beach, supposedly doing some study for an exam, I took a note of how many people I saw every 30minutes along a 100m stretch of beautiful white sand at Mission Bay, on a week day in high summer. The numbers went something like 2, 1, 2, 0, 1(walking through) 3...

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Crowded Beaches

A very nice image. A very good use of lines, and the two people are perfect.

My one suggestion would be to clone out the posts, or whatever they are, in the water. They break up the lines. I might also remove the barely visible wake at the far side of the water.

Real Name
    Bill

+1 to what Dan says. To me the umbrellas are just wonderful.

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Dan

NZ has the most beautiful beaches in the world IMO. Followed closely by Australia.

Real Name
    Greg

Beach? That looks like a lake to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Beach? That looks like a lake to me.
    Hi Greg:

Very calm waters I grant you, but that is the beach at Mission Bay in Auckland, looking across to the volcano of Rangitoto in the Hauraki Gulf. The gulf along with the Waitemata Harbour form one of the finest in-shore sailing areas in the world and is the gateway to the Pacific Ocean - a very big lake indeed!

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    NZ has the most beautiful beaches in the world IMO. Followed closely by Australia.
    Oooh said that!
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Sharon

Awesome.

Real Name
    George

Looks like there's not much more place as for two.
    A funny way to protect the face of that woman. Mostly a towel is enough

George

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Looks like there's not much more place as for two.
    A funny way to protect the face of that woman. Mostly a towel is enough

George
    Hi George:

The person on the left is actually a guy, and the female on the left is using the umbrella less to protect herself from the sun as to get privacy from the boardwalk I think. NZ and Australia share the highest rates on Melanoma in the world, thanks to our fierce UV, and the fact that so many people hit the beach and get burned.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Hi George:

The person on the left is actually a guy, and the female on the left is using the umbrella less to protect herself from the sun as to get privacy from the boardwalk I think. NZ and Australia share the highest rates on Melanoma in the world, thanks to our fierce UV, and the fact that so many people hit the beach and get burned.
    I meant the woman at the left. It looked as if she has her umbrella in her throat, her face on the other side. It could be something else.
    But it looks as a rather small beach, let's say 3 times that woman, about 5 till 6 meter.
    I know about the australian sickness, we call it skin cancer.
    I do like the picture.

George

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I meant the woman at the left. It looked as if she has her umbrella in her throat, her face on the other side. It could be something else.
    But it looks as a rather small beach, let's say 3 times that woman, about 5 till 6 meter.
    I know about the australian sickness, we call it skin cancer.
    I do like the picture.

George
    Hi George:

First of all the person on the left really is a male, the one on the right is a female. Yep he is pretty much hugging the umbrella!

As regards the beach size... I guess it depends on what you class as a small beach, but this Google Maps image should give you a clear idea. It's about 600m long and (depending on the tide) between 15 and 40m deep. The sand slopes steeply down to the tidal range and then flattens out, which may give the impression of a very small beach from my viewpoint.

Crowded Beaches

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Hi George:

First of all the person on the left really is a male, the one on the right is a female. Yep he is pretty much hugging the umbrella!

As regards the beach size... I guess it depends on what you class as a small beach, but this Google Maps image should give you a clear idea. It's about 600m long and (depending on the tide) between 15 and 40m deep. The sand slopes steeply down to the tidal range and then flattens out, which may give the impression of a very small beach from my viewpoint.

Crowded Beaches
    A typo of both of us. We both are mentioning the same person but you started to refer to the lady on the left in post 11. We mean the same persons.
    She is using the umbrella to protect her head it seems to me. I could be wrong, it's not that clear. But if so she will get a sharp mark on her throat, a sharp line between in sun and out off sun, like the lines of a bra or the top of a bikini. I think I misinterpreted the image.

I just like to analyze a picture on it's content, or try to. May I ask is this a crop?
    In Google street view nobody is laying on the beach.

George

OK to clarify my confusing typo!
    The person on the left is actually a guy, the person on the right is very demonstrably female. The person on the right had some kind of rig - I had seen them before - for an umbrella attachment to a low beach chair, designed to put their torso as close as possible to the stem of the brolly.

Actually the format is 3:2 and is as shot, but with some gentle tweaking in Lightroom - mostly to get rid of haze and overcome the AA filter.

Regarding density of use: Love the comment!!! Certainly European and perhaps some Australian standards, these beaches are sparely used except on the warmest weekends of the year!
    Last edited by Tronhard; 21st September 2018 at 06:44 AM.