Thread: What do you use out the car window?

Real Name
    Russell

What do you use out the car window?

Hi, Looking for a solution to be able to sit my Sigma 150-500mm lens on the window area of the car, have looked at the Manfrotto 243 Car Window Pod but this lens is heavy and to use the Manfrotto 243 Car Window Pod I would be scared of cracking the window glass. I have tried hand holding the lens but not with great success. Thankyou, Russ.

Real Name
    Dennis Brown

Re: What do you use out the car window?

I've been using one for a very long time. The locking collar is completely padded. I've run long telephoto lenses (200-500mm Nikkor), and mounted medium format cameras without incident. Mine has the cork padding, so there's never metal-on-glass contact. I also use a good ball head. I've used everything, though, up to a Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 head on it.

The only concern has ever been engine vibration, so I always shut it down when using it.

Real Name
    Fred

Tricky title to this thread. First thing that came to mind was "my dogs nose"!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Russel - I do have and use the Manfrotto 243 with a ball head as well. Car window glass is high strength tempered glass, so it can take a lot of load. With the longer lenses like the Sigma 150-500mm (I own one as well), I will use the mounting foot on the lens rather than the tripod thread on the camera body. I've even used it with my large, heavy Panasonic AF100 video camera hanging out the window while driving.

The key issue I have with the device is holding still while shooting. The car's suspension is not as rock-steady as a tripod, so I am very careful about shifting my weight around when I use it. It's not great to shoot in a forward direction as the car side mirrors obstruct the view.

I don't use it often, but when I need it, it works.

Real Name
    Dan

A beanbag or several inches cut from a closed cell foam kids swimming "noodle" help to dampen out vibration. The foam works well on the window glass because you can cut it half through lengthwise and slide it down onto the glass. The other good thing about the noodle is that you can buy one of them and have a lifetime supply. It's inexpensive, weighs next to nothing and if you lose it you just cut another piece out of the noodle.

Swimming noodle

What do you use out the car window?

Real Name
    Odd Skjæveland

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, Looking for a solution to be able to sit my Sigma 150-500mm lens on the window area of the car
    I have used a product called Wind-bag pro. I lower the window until the lower plastic part of the wind-bag at leas partially rests on the door. The upper edge of the window in my car is slanted forwardly, resting the wind-bag on the door makes the bean bag more horizontal.

https://www.studio22online.co.za/win...amera-support/

--
    Odd S.

Real Name
    Richard

I am just going to convert the antiquated measurement system we use to only roughly metric. This isn't brain surgery/

I simply took two squares of plywood about 18-inches (about 46 or so centimeters) square and one piece of plywood about 12-inches (about 20.5 cm) x 18-inches. The thickness of the plywood should be approximately the same as the thickness of your window glass.

Using a heavy duty cement, glue the three pieces together with the smaller piece in the center so that you have a square with a slot at the lower approximately one third and triple thickness at the top two thirds.

Cut a V in the triple thickness section of a size that will accommodate the diameter of your lens.

Roll down your window until it is a bit higher than the groove between the double section of plywood. Slip that section over the window glass and rest your lens in the V you have cut.

You can use some insulation material or anything else soft to pad the V in order to avoid scratching the lens.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am just going to convert the antiquated measurement system we use to only roughly metric. This isn't brain surgery/

I simply took two squares of plywood about 18-inches (about 46 or so centimeters) square and one piece of plywood about 12-inches (about 20.5 cm) x 18-inches. The thickness of the plywood should be approximately the same as the thickness of your window glass.

Using a heavy duty cement, glue the three pieces together with the smaller piece in the center so that you have a square with a slot at the lower approximately one third and triple thickness at the top two thirds.

Cut a V in the triple thickness section of a size that will accommodate the diameter of your lens.

Roll down your window until it is a bit higher than the groove between the double section of plywood. Slip that section over the window glass and rest your lens in the V you have cut.

You can use some insulation material or anything else soft to pad the V in order to avoid scratching the lens.
    Convert the antiquated measurement system!! At last someone else who remembers feet and inches Russ.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Convert the antiquated measurement system!! At last someone else who remembers feet and inches Russ.
    I guess that it is Liberia, Myanmar and the USA who still use the Imperial System