Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wolf

Real Name
    Paul

Wolf

A wolf, looks like he's seen my sandwiches -

Wolf

yep, there it is, a little smile, he's seen them alright. Probably just wants a stroke ... or something

Wolf

Real Name
    Dan

re: Wolf

He looks like he could use a good sandwich. Very different looking than those on this side of the ocean. Fascinating looking eyes.

Re: Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    He looks like he could use a good sandwich. Very different looking than those on this side of the ocean. Fascinating looking eyes.
    Adaptation to environment I would say. The much colder conditions that many North American wolves have to face would demand that they have much thicker coats. I recall that the shed their thicker coats in the summer months, so if this wolf was shot in France in the summer I would expect it to have a lot less bulk.

The eyes are fascinating - in the first it has a sort of yearning look, but a much wilder expression in the second one.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Adaptation to environment I would say. The much colder conditions that many North American wolves have to face would demand that they have much thicker coats. I recall that the shed their thicker coats in the summer months, so if this wolf was shot in France in the summer I would expect it to have a lot less bulk...
    It could also be due to centuries of living among higher density (hostile)human population. Reduced numbers due to hunting could have reduced the genetic diversity and subsequent inbreeding has altered the species. Or it could be that living among agrarian population with access to domestic prey reduces the benefit of size resulting in smaller animals surviving, breeding, and passing on those traits to subsequent generations.

Or it could just be this one wolf and the species as a whole look just like those over here

Real Name
    Bruce

Paul, very nice images.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Nice shots.

Real Name
    Paul

This is (I think) a Polish wolf. Nearby there were some arctic wolves who had much more bulk and fur. They weren't keen on sandwiches and remained hidden so no shots of those ... It was summer and the South of France but they are kept wild with little or no human contact