Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Project 52 - 4th Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Sandy

Re: 2018 Project 52 - 4th Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

I tried doing as Geoff suggested to add punch to the photo. Hope I didn't over do it!

2018 Project 52 - 4th Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

That looks better to me, Sandy. Obviously a dull light scene but it doesn't look 'gloomy' any more.

Real Name
    Sandy

Thanks Geoff! I used the graduated filter in Lightroom 6 to accomplish the task. Another learning experience!

Real Name
    Sandy

Taking a walk through our little grove of evergreen trees, I spotted some feathers. Lately, a red-tailed hawk has been visiting and apparently munching on our song birds. I wasn't very happy seeing these because I believe they are blue jay feathers. I am surprised that the hawk managed to snag one for his lunch but then it is survival of the fittest. In spite of the sadness of losing a blue jay, I thought it an interesting photo.

Feathers - 1/800ss - f/4.5 - ISO6400

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 42

It is Autumn/Fall in our area. I wanted to find some photos that would depict this season. The first one is of field corn ready for harvest. Along with it is a weed we call foxtail.

Field Corn - f/16 - 1/50ss - ISO500

The next is the appearance of the woolly worm. It is an indicator of how our winter weather will be according to its bands of color. It is folklore but many times what it predicts will be so!

Woolly Worm - f/5.6 - 1/640ss - ISO640

Real Name
    John

Week 42, nice captures.

Real Name
    Sandy

Thank you John!

Real Name
    David

Wk 42 - Field Corn - this is a pleasing and slightly unusual image, Sandy. The striking yellow sweetcorn right in the centre makes the image while allowing the eye to investigate all the subtle tones around it.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi David - I'm glad you like the photo. I tried several different compositions (shot along side the field showing the row of corn, etc.) but I kept coming back to this one. Thank you for commenting!

Real Name
    Bill

Two interesting shots Sandy. The first really does say "the season between Summer and Winter" , but I prefer the Wooly Worm. Great detail and you can see from the background just how well you nailed the DoF - well done. All it requires is the answer to how the winter weather will be ...

I find caterpillars are often a tricky subject, Sandy, particularly when they start rushing around while you are trying to get a good focus.

With this scene I would slightly tone down the bright edge of that rock behind the caterpillar which is overpowering the subtle lighting on your main subject. Also clone out that little bit of odd rock which is just peeping into the bottom left corner.

A couple of days ago I was attempting a caterpillar shot but there were bits of grass and twigs in the way; so I started slowly clearing away the impinging debris then I must have disturbed my model which curled itself into a tight ball and dropped to the ground!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Two interesting shots Sandy. The first really does say "the season between Summer and Winter" , but I prefer the Wooly Worm. Great detail and you can see from the background just how well you nailed the DoF - well done. All it requires is the answer to how the winter weather will be ...
    Hi Bill - I haven't seen a lot of these woolly worms but this one presented itself in a good location for my attempted effort.

Apparently, the winter will be more harsh if the middle band of color is small compared to the worm. I found this description on the all knowing web: a narrow orange band warns of heavy snow; fat and fuzzy caterpillars presage bitter cold. Another page said that the woolly worm is correct 80% of the time! I guess I'll know what is what when next spring arrives and the winter is done!

I've been fussing with sharpness of my lens and DOF on the close-up photos I like to take. Sometimes, even though my focus is spot on, my photos look a bit off. Not sure why that is happening. I was glad to see this one be more like I wanted it to be.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I find caterpillars are often a tricky subject, Sandy, particularly when they start rushing around while you are trying to get a good focus.

With this scene I would slightly tone down the bright edge of that rock behind the caterpillar which is overpowering the subtle lighting on your main subject. Also clone out that little bit of odd rock which is just peeping into the bottom left corner.

A couple of days ago I was attempting a caterpillar shot but there were bits of grass and twigs in the way; so I started slowly clearing away the impinging debris then I must have disturbed my model which curled itself into a tight ball and dropped to the ground!
    Hi Geoff - I incorporated your suggestions into my photo and like the changes.

I appreciate your sharing the episode of the uncooperative caterpillar. I think these critters ought to be pleased that we consider them photographic enough to use for our subjects. <chuckle>

Edited Woolly Worm

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 43 - I took some artistic liberties with these two. The photos were both taken through our unopened living room window. Dehaze, etc. applied as well as some grass removal and background clearing. The hawk is pretty much as he appeared but with some of him highlighted a bit. Settings used for both: ISO1250 - f/6.3 - 1/200

I do wish there had been some way to get rid of the extra greenery by his tail feathers. He is in the birdbath, of all places! I've since asked my hubby if we can eliminate that tree limb! <chuckle> Looking at the photo in "Lightbox", maybe I should have darkened the greenery a bit? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Good shots, Sandy. Yes, darkening that patch of greenery would help. Alternatively, crop out the tail and wing tips altogether to create more of a head and shoulders (plus legs) portrait scene; maybe end up with something around a square crop ratio?

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Good shots, Sandy. Yes, darkening that patch of greenery would help. Alternatively, crop out the tail and wing tips altogether to create more of a head and shoulders (plus legs) portrait scene; maybe end up with something around a square crop ratio?
    Thanks for the suggestions Geoff. I'll play with it a bit and see how the photo turns out.

I did try and capture some photos of him sitting in the evergreen trees but I had the same problems, either too much light behind him, greenery in the way of his body, etc. It is frustrating since I really want a better picture of him. He is elusive and uncooperative! <chuckle> And he really doesn't like seeing me point a camera at him!

I appreciate the comments!

Real Name
    Bruce

Sandy, the first photo in particular is impressive. I'd never have guess that you'd shot through a house window if you had not said so. You must have very clean windows! Do you know what type of hawk it is?

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Sandy, the first photo in particular is impressive. I'd never have guess that you'd shot through a house window if you had not said so. You must have very clean windows! Do you know what type of hawk it is?
    Hi Bruce - I never thought I'd be able to take a decent photo through the window glass (which isn't super clean at all.... ) but it apparently isn't as hard as I thought. As mentioned, I did have to dehaze the pic to remove the "film" that the window seemed to layer on the photo.

As far as I can tell, it is a juvenile Red Tail Hawk. It takes about two years for them to become fully feathered in their adult colors. They are the most common type we have in the area.

We've seen the adult many times but they are hard to photograph. They are very alert and spook at the slightest movement.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pic and I appreciate the comments.

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Sandy. I enjoyed both shots. Both are sharp and clean. I support Geoff's suggestion of cropping out the tail of the second shot for a head and shoulders shot. Nice work!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Hi Sandy. I enjoyed both shots. Both are sharp and clean. I support Geoff's suggestion of cropping out the tail of the second shot for a head and shoulders shot. Nice work!
    Hi Joe - Thanks for commenting!

I've been fiddling with the crop idea but haven't found one that I like any better than what I already have. The bird looks unbalanced in the square crop and so far none that I've tried have done the bird any favors in appearance.

I wonder what my odds are to catch him in this same place ever again? Probably not good.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast