Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Project 52 - 4th Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: 2018 Project 52 - 4th Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Hi Sandy - I may just be overly critical but the area where the wooden fence was shows a vertical repeating pattern that does not look natural to me. The only reason that I mentioned it is because you did such a good job on the highway off ramp.

From a composition point of view, I prefer the corner shot to the side view.
    Sandy, I agree with Andre.

I've been wondering why I prefer the angled shot of the tank. I think it's because the front end of the tank looks more menacing than the square on side view. (And tanks should give the impression of menacing threat.)

Real Name
    David

I also prefer the corner shot. The composition is far better as the tank has a much more dynamc stance and the gun barrel has a more interesting angle within the frame. Also, the lighting on the wheels and tracks is better, as is the sky.

Very good processing too.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice effort, the profile shot is good for identifying the model, to really showcase the vehicle you'd want to shoot at an angle and preferably from a low vantage point where background wouldn't be so distracting.
    Hi John - Thanks for explaining the reason behind certain positions of the vehicles and why choose a lower vantage point. I appreciate the shared knowledge!

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Hi Sandy - I may just be overly critical but the area where the wooden fence was shows a vertical repeating pattern that does not look natural to me. The only reason that I mentioned it is because you did such a good job on the highway off ramp.

From a composition point of view, I prefer the corner shot to the side view.
    Hi André - Now that I can see the un-natural area, I think I have corrected the vertical repeating pattern. Hopefully, it looks better to everyone!

Also I appreciate the feedback you have given. It helps my efforts to improve! All suggestions are beneficial!

Edited2018 Project 52 - 4th Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Sandy, I agree with Andre.

I've been wondering why I prefer the angled shot of the tank. I think it's because the front end of the tank looks more menacing than the square on side view. (And tanks should give the impression of menacing threat.)
    Hi Bruce - I've edited the side view and feel it is better now that the cloned area seems more realistic.

After working with both poses, I do agree that the angled shot is perhaps a bit better in presentation! There are definitely things to consider when photographing objects!

Thank you for your comments.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I also prefer the corner shot. The composition is far better as the tank has a much more dynamc stance and the gun barrel has a more interesting angle within the frame. Also, the lighting on the wheels and tracks is better, as is the sky.

Very good processing too.
    Hi David - Thank you for your encouraging analysis of the tank! My rubbish bin is filled with rejects so it is fun to have some that work out.

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 45 - So on the same day as my attempts to photograph the tank, I also took on an army truck. Turns out my hubby drove one of these during training as well as during the time he was stationed in Germany. He said that it would accept any type of fuel so that made this truck versatile. And as it happens, this is one of the few time he's talked about his experiences. So I am multitasking with my photo hobby.

Army Truck = ISO100 - 1/125ss - f/13
    2018 Project 52 - 4th Qtr - Sandy (Skitterbug)

Real Name
    Bruce

Sandy, for me the photo works well. It's a good documentary image.

Real Name
    Bill

Sandy, I've held off commenting on this series.

For me camouflage = does not jump off the page and none of them caught my attention the way that so many of yours do. However, I can appreciate the excellent capture and processing so a big ✅ (note the use of colour to be sure it didn't get lost in the background .

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Sandy,
    I prefer the view from 45deg.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Hi Sandy,
    I prefer the view from 45deg.
    Thanks for commenting Joe! 45deg. does seem to set the vehicles off nicely.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Sandy, for me the photo works well. It's a good documentary image.
    Hi Bruce - I'm glad this photo works for you. I've struggled with set-up and how to show the truck (and the tank) in the best possible situation. I'm not sure how much longer they will be available since the property, where they are located, has sold.

Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Sandy, I've held off commenting on this series.

For me camouflage = does not jump off the page and none of them caught my attention the way that so many of yours do. However, I can appreciate the excellent capture and processing so a big ✅ (note the use of colour to be sure it didn't get lost in the background .
    Hi Bill - So you are saying that the colours ought to be more muted? Or are you saying I should push the truck's colours more? The truck's paint job and the canvas is faded significantly.
    Sorry that I am not understanding the direction you are headed!

Thanks for the "big plus" though!

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    So you are saying that the colours ought to be more muted? Or are you saying I should push the truck's colours more?
    Hello Sandy

None of the above! What I was trying to say was that these didn't hit me as "wow that's great" or "oops, there are some opportunities for improvement here", but that's because of the subject matter (camouflage) not because of anything on your part.

Bill

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Hello Sandy

None of the above! What I was trying to say was that these didn't hit me as "wow that's great" or "oops, there are some opportunities for improvement here", but that's because of the subject matter (camouflage) not because of anything on your part.

Bill
    Hi Bill - Thanks for clarifying what you meant. I don't normally go after subjects such as these but for some reason I was drawn to them. You are correct, I do generally like more colorful subjects!

I appreciate your comments always! Keep them coming because I have a long way to go yet for understanding the complex subject of photography and how to accomplish it for good results!

Real Name
    Sandy

Week 46 - Posted a day early because at the moment, I am not being pursued by a multitude of tasks. I feel like I'm at the start of a race and soon will be chased by all that needs doing before the family arrives for Thanksgiving celebrations.

One of the tasks that has nothing to do with holiday celebrations but needs doing before freezing weather is putting the koi pond "to bed" for the winter months. We have to shut down the waterfall by turning off the pump and draining the pipes that convey the water from the pond into the holding tank that overflows when filled, to create the falls.

Mr. Bullfrog will sit in the waterfall quite often and he also likes to hide in the holding tank. He wants to hibernate there but we can't allow it. He'd freeze! So each fall we scoop him up and put him back into the koi pond so he'll find another place to sleep.

This year, hubby put him on the rocks while we were working. Mr. B didn't move an inch. So then we put him in the sunshine for a bit to warm him up. You can see just how ambitious Mr. B was - not very! After the photograph session, I ran my finger down his back to check on how he was doing. He finally took exception to being handled and leaped, rather clumsily, into the pond and swam down to the deepest part. And no, I still haven't managed to capture a bullfrog leaping anywhere. Maybe next year....... <LOL>

On the Rocks! ISO-640 - f/5.6 - 1/320ss

By the edge of the pond and back On a Rock! ISO100 - f/7.1 - 1/125ss

Real Name
    John

Post #67, the angle of this shot makes for a slightly more dynamic shot than the tank. Nice effort.

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Post #67, the angle of this shot makes for a slightly more dynamic shot than the tank. Nice effort.
    Thank you John for the encouragement!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very lovely set of images...

Real Name
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Very lovely set of images...
    Thank you Nandakumar! I appreciate your comments!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast