Thread: Unable to remove body cap from Nikon 1.4xTC

Real Name
    Bill

Unable to remove body cap from Nikon 1.4xTC

I'm on South Uist and nowhere near a photo tech .. It's a landscape and birder paradise and I chose to go for the former first.. Today was birding turn - or was meant to be but I could not remove the body cap from the TC 1.4 .

It moves about 20% of a full turn with no resistance, can be turned clockwise to the 'close' position easily but will not move to the release point when turned counter clockwise.

Any suggestions (other than wait until I get home and take it to the repair shop).

Real Name
    George

Re: Unable to remove body cap from Nikon 1.4xTC

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    I'm on South Uist and nowhere near a photo tech .. It's a landscape and birder paradise and I chose to go for the former first.. Today was birding turn - or was meant to be but I could not remove the body cap from the TC 1.4 .

It moves about 20% of a full turn with no resistance, can be turned clockwise to the 'close' position easily but will not move to the release point when turned counter clockwise.

Any suggestions (other than wait until I get home and take it to the repair shop).
    From the camera or the lens? Is it an original tc1.4?
    Not sure I understand you with "body cap from the tc1.4"

George

Real Name
    Peter

It sounds like there’s something in the threads. Assuming the cap is plastic and the adapter thread metal I would be (given where you are) tempted to force the issue Bill.
    When it hit the jammed spot try a push and pull on the cap whilst twisting it in the undo direction.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Ted

"Assuming the cap is plastic and the adapter thread metal I would be (given where you are) tempted to force the issue"

Me too.

Any chance of simulating a strap wrench with a stick and some strong twine?

Assuming a new cap can be bought, force this one out with a pocket knife blade?

No Stillsons in the boot of your car?, tsk.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    From the camera or the lens? Is it an original tc1.4?
    Not sure I understand you with "body cap from the tc1.4"

George
    It's a TC 1.4 II. The "body cap" is the cap that covers the end of the TC that fits into the camera body.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    ... Assuming a new cap can be bought, force this one out with a pocket knife blade?
    I think something on those lines may work. It's a bit late in the day for messing about but I'll try in the morning - it's easy enough to get a replacement cap, not so easy to get a replacement TC hence the cautious approach.

Real Name
    Grahame

Bill,

This may help you...................

Firstly, this is based upon the Nikon 1.4xTCIII (latest model) of which has a different F mount bayonet due to compatibility.

For info, The 1.4xTCIII body cap supplied (grey BF-3B) will fit a camera body but a standard camera body cap will not fit to the TC.

The 1.4xTCIII body cap (with it facing you) turns 30 deg Clockwise with no resistance to the 'Remove' pull off position from the fully locked position.

Here's some pics that may be helpful, note it's the BF-3B grey cap that is the TC one;

No 1

No 2

No 3

Edit : Bill, I see you have been typing whilst I have so ignore this as it's not applicable now.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 3rd October 2018 at 08:25 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I had something similar happen once (it was actually a body cap and lens cap that were stored together) that had somehow become cross threaded, so the risk of damage to a precision optical component was nil. I heated it up with a hair dryer to soften the plastic a bit and was able to force the parts apart.

Real Name
    George

I was asking because I had something equal but then with an extension ring and the lens. The locking mechanism didn't unlock it anymore and I had to saw that mechanism open carefully.
    But what I see this is a bayonet lock, no mechanism.

George

Real Name
    Bill

Slept on it, had two mugs of strong tea, and got to work with what I could find in the kitchen of the rented cottage ...

Success

Thanks to all who responded. Manfred - I had already set about it before reading your hair dryer suggestion, but I do like that idea.

While here, if perchance anyone reading this ever has plans that include a visit to South Uist, I can heartily recommend this cottage (as long as there are only two of you). Search for Smiddy Cottage, South Uist for details.

Real Name
    Grahame

Are you going to tell us what actually stuck and caused the problem Bill?

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Are you going to tell us what actually stuck and caused the problem Bill?
    I'm not sure! When I got the cap off there was a piece of the inner broken off (red circle) but it was near where I had "persuaded" the cap to free itself (arrow) and I cannot be sure that that particular damage was the cause of the sticking or a result of my efforts. However, there was nothing else visible and I have made a test shot with the TC attached and all looks good.

Real Name
    George

I'm not sure! When I got the cap off there was a piece of the inner broken off (red circle) but it was near where I had "persuaded" the cap to free itself (arrow) and I cannot be sure that that particular damage was the cause of the sticking or a result of my efforts. However, there was nothing else visible and I have made a test shot with the TC attached and all looks good.

Cut it away and you probably can use it again.

George

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks for that Bill. I see it was the same BF-3B cap I had referred to above.