Thread: Avian Love

Real Name
    André

Avian Love

I recently bought an EOS 77D mostly because the low light performance of my T3i is quite poor. I can push it to ISO 200 if need be but anything above that becomes very noisy. It will probably take me a while to get used to the different ergonomics of the 77D body but this shot taken at ISO 800 is enough to convince me that I made a good choice.

Avian Love

C & C welcomed.
    Last edited by Round Tuit; 28th October 2018 at 12:30 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Avian Love

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Dan

It certainly looks nice and clean. Congrats on the new camera.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've always said that it is time to upgrade one's equipment when it is limiting what you are trying to do. It seems to me you did this and the results show that your new camera body has overcome the limitations you had. Good solid shot here.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I've always said that it is time to upgrade one's equipment when it is limiting what you are trying to do.
    That should be flashed up to everyone who pours over the websites of the camera retailers.

Sure, there are those who have money to burn and who want to say they have the biggest and best. But the real photographer will know that the primary limiting factor is him or herself. Once they can prove to themselves that the camera is holding them back, that the time to upgrade.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I've always said that it is time to upgrade one's equipment when it is limiting what you are trying to do. It seems to me you did this and the results show that your new camera body has overcome the limitations you had. Good solid shot here.
    Then why do I lust after new gear so strongly - O wise one?...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Then why do I lust after new gear so strongly - O wise one?...
    I'm sorry to say that you appear to have that dread illness usually referred to as "GAS" (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Real Name
    André

Thank you John, Paul and Manfred. I am glad that you like the shot particularly since I haven't had much inspiration nor enthousiasm for photograpy in the past 12 months. And that definitely showed in the quality of the few pictures that I have taken. I am looking forward to getting back into photography more actively and leaving what can best be describe as "annus horribilis" behind.
    As for GAS, it is not a disease that I can afford! I had been looking for a while at potential bodies with better low light performance and had narrowed down the field to the EOS Ti6, Ti7, 77D and the 80D. The 77D being at the top of my list. I was prepared to buy the first one on my list that was offered at a reasonable price. When the 77D came on sale for over 40% off, I went for it.
    Aside from the low light performance, I think that the large number of cross type AF points will help me catch BIFs and the wifi will come in handy to shoot tethered without being limited by a cable.

Real Name
    Zen

Hi Andre,
    That's a great shot, and from a really good body.

I usually shoot with my 5d4, but have a 77d for the times when I want to carry a smaller, lighter and less expensive "pocket" camera. With a small lens mounted, the 77d fits into a large jacket pocket and frees up my hands for other things. The ergonomics of the 77d are quite similar to my 5d4, and the big plus is that all my "L" lenses can be mounted to it when needed. So the 77d serves two purposes for me: as a small walk-around camera, and as a back-up when/if needed to my "big" 5d4. I say you've made a good choice with the 77d.

Good luck with the 77d, and good shooting. Thank you for sharing, and looking forward to seeing others in the future.

Zen

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Hi Andre,
    That's a great shot, and from a really good body.

I usually shoot with my 5d4, but have a 77d for the times when I want to carry a smaller, lighter and less expensive "pocket" camera. With a small lens mounted, the 77d fits into a large jacket pocket and frees up my hands for other things. The ergonomics of the 77d are quite similar to my 5d4, and the big plus is that all my "L" lenses can be mounted to it when needed. So the 77d serves two purposes for me: as a small walk-around camera, and as a back-up when/if needed to my "big" 5d4. I say you've made a good choice with the 77d.

Good luck with the 77d, and good shooting. Thank you for sharing, and looking forward to seeing others in the future.

Zen
    Thanks Zen, I'm glad you enjoyed the shot. I think that the 77D will serve me well for several years to come judging from the time it took me to find the T3i limiting.
    I have not considered going to a full frame for two reasons. One, I appreciate the longuer reach that I get from the crop sensor and I have yet to find myself in a situation where I would need a full frame to get a shot that I'm after. Two, the cost would be prohibitive as I would have to buy lenses as well as a new body. Any full frame lens would likely cost me more than the 77D.