Thread: Maid of the Mist

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Maid of the Mist

I got back to processing an image I took back in August (it seems such a long time ago) of the tourist boat, the Maid of the Mist as it got close to Niagara Falls. I tried to go simple in the composition by just showing the boat, the water and the mist coming off the falls.

Maid of the Mist

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Maid of the Mist

Nice one ... been there, seen that, but never done that!

Real Name
    Dan

Nicely done.

Real Name
    John

Brings back memories Manfred. Nice image.

Real Name
    Zen

A really nice image, Manfred.

As a Buffalonian, I've seen this boat and the one[s] from the Canadian side many times, but have not as yet, gotten a good image of either one. And while this view, that is looking down on the crowded boat, is the most popular, the view of the huge cloud of mist above the falls, seen from a few miles away, is equally impressive.

The Grand Island bridges are several miles upstream from the falls, and when crossing one of them on a good day, one can quite easily see the rising cloud of mist shining and glistening in the sun high above the edge of the falls. It's quite a sight. Unfortunately, I have as yet not gotten a shot of that either! I guess it's common for local residents to miss, or even ignore, striking picturesque elements in their own backyards.

Thank you for sharing your images, Manfred, and your expertise.

Zen

Dramatic, Manfred, but I'd really love to see it in B&W!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Dramatic, Manfred, but I'd really love to see it in B&W!
    It would not work very well at all as a B&W as the tonality is all wrong.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    A really nice image, Manfred.

As a Buffalonian, I've seen this boat and the one[s] from the Canadian side many times, but have not as yet, gotten a good image of either one. And while this view, that is looking down on the crowded boat, is the most popular, the view of the huge cloud of mist above the falls, seen from a few miles away, is equally impressive.

The Grand Island bridges are several miles upstream from the falls, and when crossing one of them on a good day, one can quite easily see the rising cloud of mist shining and glistening in the sun high above the edge of the falls. It's quite a sight. Unfortunately, I have as yet not gotten a shot of that either! I guess it's common for local residents to miss, or even ignore, striking picturesque elements in their own backyards.

Thank you for sharing your images, Manfred, and your expertise.

Zen
    Thanks! I used to get to Niagara Falls two or three times a year when I was a child. I lived in Toronto and I had an aunt who lived in Niagara Falls, NY, so we would visit there two or three times a year. Unfortunately for me, my father had discovered he would miss the downtown Niagara Falls ON traffic by avoiding the Rainbow Bridge and crossing to and from the USA at Lewiston... I remember my aunt telling me that the only times they went to the Falls was when they had overseas visitors, so you are not alone in not getting to the site all that often.

I find that the Horseshoe Falls are the most challenging to photograph because of all the mist and spray that is thrown up there.

Real Name
    Janis

Nice one, Manfred. I was reminded of the shot I got a few years ago, which I thought did make for a nice b&w, but it was a different perspective.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Nice one, Manfred. I was reminded of the shot I got a few years ago, which I thought did make for a nice b&w, but it was a different perspective.
    You're quite right Janis. the perspective is quite different. Most of the times I have been to the falls, the wind and spray were heading toward where I was shooting from and the whole area was enshrouded in mist and spray. On my most recent trip, the wind was predominantly from the north and head up river toward the falls. This moved all the visual distractions in an unusual direction.

What struck me and what what I wanted to capture was the predominantly green tinged water in the river meeting the light gray water tumbling down the falls and I was very much after the tonality of where the two flows met. Monochrome blends the tonality and that is not the composition I wanted. Likewise, the blue raincoats on the deck add some more cool tones into this equation. This again gets lost in a monochrome shot.

Real Name
    Paul David

Growing up in the Finger Lakes region, Niagara Falls was our big trip every summer. Beautiful place. Thanks fot the photo.

Real Name
    Sandy

Not surprising that your work is well done. I'm especially drawn to the green tint in the water with the white swirls on top. Also the blue protection that the passengers are wearing add that bit of extra color that really makes the Maid of the Mist memorable. It will make a lovely print as well!

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post

What struck me and what what I wanted to capture was the predominantly green tinged water in the river meeting the light gray water tumbling down the falls and I was very much after the tonality of where the two flows met. . .
    I think you have captured very well. I like the texture in the water, it's nice contrast to the softness of the falling water. The boat and its blue people give the whole scene a sense of scale of course.