Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Untitled

Untitled

I was staying out of the rain and cold at the Blanton Museum of Art on the UT-Austin campus this morning. I had an Olympus E-P2 with an old Zeiss T*50mm f/1.4 Planar in case I saw anything of interest. This very low sofa was, and I was looking through the viewfinder when this passerby's legs hove into view and I pressed the shutter. I rather like the results but can't actually articulate why:
    UntitledAt the Blanton Museum of Art by tombarry975, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Untitled

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barry View Post
    I rather like the results but can't actually articulate why
    I agree.

I think the person gives it context, meaning and depth. That's about the best that I can come up with.

I think that without the person in there it would be a fine, but totally different, image. It would be an abstract image concentrating on lines and shapes. The person gives it more meaning and mystery.

Thanks for the well-articulated answer, Donald.

Real Name
    Greg

Line, shape, colour - what more do you want? Curves contrasting with the straight lines of the tiles. The V shape of the legs contrasting with the S curve of the lounge. It may have been serendipitous but it gives you something to consider in future and build on. It's a good image, Tom.

A step or two closer might have extended the diagonal of the lounge to the edge of frame rather than curtailing the red with the lighter shade of the tiles.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful suggestion, Greg. Sometimes I shoot something without quite consciously knowing why it interests me. I think perhaps because I've been an enthusiastic photographer for more than 65 years, though I made my living as a journalist, composition and the factors leading to it become intuitive, almost automatic.