Thread: Summer sunset

Real Name
    Janis

Summer sunset

This is one from the start of summer, shot with the Sigma 18-35 mm on the D7100 for your C&C. I believe I steadied the camera on a staircase rail.

Summer sunset

f/11 @ 0.6 sec, 100 ISO, 18 mm

This is from the same evening.

Summer sunset

f/11 @ 3 sec, 100 ISO, 18 mm
    Last edited by purplehaze; 18th October 2018 at 06:15 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Summer sunset

Nice set, Janis. The soft tones in the first shot and the simplicity of the composition convey the serenity of the moment very well.

The second has a bit too much foreground for my taste. The dappled clouds in the reflection are compounded by the lumps of sand emerging from the water, making a bit busy. JMHO.

Real Name
    Ole

I prefer the first image because it is so serene. The second image I am in agreement with Greg - too busy.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    John

Nice set.

Real Name
    André

I like both. My slight preference for the first one could be because I have this hanging on my wall

Summer sunset

I agree with Greg. If the second image was mine, I would crop a little from the bottom and right side

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Nice one, André! Where was that shot? Is it a scene you get to enjoy often?

Geoff, can you be more precise about where you would crop? It doesn't look like I will be able to do what you suggest and maintain a standard size.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Janice - two nice images, although I do prefer the first one. I personally would have liked to have seen a tiny bit more detail in the rocks.

Summer sunset

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Janice - two nice images, although I do prefer the first one. I personally would have liked to have seen a tiny bit more detail in the rocks.
    +1 from me Janice. I also agree with Greg's thoughts on a bottom/rhs crop for the second image, possibly enough to bring the horizon down onto the third. Two very pleasing shots though.

Real Name
    Brian

I have spent many luxurious moments watching as the scenery turned into black level during the sunset. You have captured it well.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    ...Nice one, André! Where was that shot? Is it a scene you get to enjoy often?
    The shot was taken at Britannia park on the shore of the Ottawa river about 10 Km from where I live. It is one of the many scenic locations that we are privileged to have in Ottawa. I must admit that sometimes we tend to take them for granted. If we care to look, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
    Last edited by Round Tuit; 20th October 2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    The shot was taken at Brittania park on the shore of the Ottawa river about 10 Km from where I live. It is one of the many scenic locations that we are privileged to have in Ottawa. I must admit that sometimes we tend to take them for granted. If we care to look, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
    Andre, in a few months, you can follow up with a nice winter shot taken at the same location...

Real Name
    Janis

I personally would have liked to have seen a tiny bit more detail in the rocks.
    Works for me, Manfred; thanks. I did bring up the shadows in the rocks in PP, but the conversion to jpg may have crushed them again.

Thanks, John and Brian.

André, I had not realized the Ottawa River got that wide. Impressive. My shot is from the south basin of Lake Winnipeg where I have had the privilege of spending summers (and winter weekends) since I was a child.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Works for me, Manfred; thanks. I did bring up the shadows in the rocks in PP, but the conversion to jpg may have crushed them again.
    That's possible, but I suspect it is more likely the tools and workflow you use. You are working exclusively in Capture One here and that limits what you can do with local adjustments. With a pixel based editor, like Photoshop, I can easily do a local adjustment without influencing the overall global look of the image. The details are still there as I was able to pull them out of the jpg you posted.

André, I had not realized the Ottawa River got that wide.
    The Ottawa River is ~ 3 - 3.5 km wide in spots in the west end of Ottawa; Shirley's Bay and Britannia Bay, where Andre was shooting. Once you get down towards the west end of Montreal, where the Ottawa River empties into the St Lawrence River, there are places that it is around 6.5 km wide (Lac des Deux Montagnes).

Real Name
    André

Thanks, John and Brian.

André, I had not realized the Ottawa River got that wide. Impressive. My shot is from the south basin of Lake Winnipeg where I have had the privilege of spending summers (and winter weekends) since I was a child.
    The photo makes it look wider than it is because I am shooting upriver rather than straight across. I've saw lake Winnipeg once around 1970 when I was posted to Beausejour for a couple of years. All that I remember from the lake is FOG like I had never seen before!

Real Name
    André

Andre, in a few months, you can follow up with a nice winter shot taken at the same location...
    Excellent idea.

Real Name
    Janis

You are working exclusively in Capture One here and that limits what you can do with local adjustments.
    Better to underestimate me than C1, Manfred. Not claiming that it can do everything Photoshop does, but it can do quite a lot. I was wrong and I hadn't actually touched the rocks; I was thinking of another, similar image, without the figure. Here is my rework, with shadows lifted on the rocks alone in one layer and a couple of distracting bright spots that resulted toned down in a third.

Summer sunset

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    All that I remember from the lake is FOG like I had never seen before!
    That's funny. I associate fog with Hudson Bay. I spent two summers doing archeology near the mouth of the Hayes River, where fog was a near daily occurrence and could easily be hiding a polar bear!

With the second image, Janis, there are several cropping options. I was thinking about losing around 10% max from both bottom and right side to retain the current image size. Alternatively you could take more from the bottom and end up at another standard size ratio.