Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Windows 10 photo app pixelates photo

Windows 10 photo app pixelates photo

Hi. I have created some wedding photos (jpegs high quality large size circa 10mb) in photoshop/bridge/camera raw. they look fine in bridge. I copied to usb and gave to couple and they complained that quality reduces in windows 10 photo app. I checked on my computer and sane things happens. If I load photo up in photo app it is clear for a few seconds and then adjusts to being pixelated and fuzzy. particularly bad on patterned clothing. If in slideshow mode they are all fine. If I right click an press edit it auto adjusts and is fine and I can save a good copy . I have a windows 7 laptop and they work fine in that viewer.
    Can anyone advise what the problem is please. many thanks. Phil

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Windows 10 photo app pixelates photo

Sounds like the app downsampling algorithm is not working well. Have you tried creating images that are the same as screen width / height (around 2 mB) in Lightroom to see if that makes any difference? That way you are doing the downsampling. I have assumed that the users are not using a 4K screen.

I never use the Windows photo viewers as every version I have ever tried, the results are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Sounds like the app downsampling algorithm is not working well. Have you tried creating images that are the same as screen width / height (around 2 mB) in Lightroom to see if that makes any difference? That way you are doing the downsampling. I have assumed that the users are not using a 4K screen.

I never use the Windows photo viewers as every version I have ever tried, the results are not good.

Ok Thanks I will try downsizing although I gave them larger files so they can print etc. Will look at giving low res file as well for viewing.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Ok Thanks I will try downsizing although I gave them larger files so they can print etc. Will look at giving low res file as well for viewing.
    In situations like this one, I provide two sets of files; one downsampled one for screen viewing and a second print-ready set.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post

I have recently moved from windows 7 to windows 10 OS. The default photo viewer has no problem* displaying jpegs 6390x4264 pixels on my 2560x1440 screen as far as image sharpness/pixelation is concerned. Perhaps another setting on Phil's computer/graphics card is the problem.

* The one problem is Windows 10 photo app is not color managed, so viewing a sRGB image on a ARGB monitor screen shows oversaturated colours. I have an interesting comparison with the previous windows picture viewer that was default in windows 7 , but I will post a new thread so as not to de-rail this one