Thread: The future of photographs

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The future of photographs

May not be the future of photography. As long as you allow the definition of photography to be the arty part of taking and processing photographic images; not the act of taking an image. Still; I wonder if the big camera companies have missed the boat completely.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/th...raphy-is-code/

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: The future of photographs

An interesting read but frankly it really confirms that cell phone makers in their drive to make phones as thin as possible have run into limitations, set by the laws of physics, when it comes to lens design and sensor capabilities. The has pushed them down the road of signal processing to work around these self-imposed limitations.

Will some of this technology make its way into more mainstream cameras and post-processing software? The answer is certainly a resounding YES! But unlike the canned routines that Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. build into the phone's firmware, at least photographers will have a choice on how to apply the software to their work.

Real Name
    shambhu

I think future is fully Technology based photography's ,the photography era will start in upcoming decades even we can't imagine advance technology.Photographs will be available at average cost prices.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by shambhu1 View Post
    I think future is fully Technology based photography's ,the photography era will start in upcoming decades even we can't imagine advance technology.Photographs will be available at average cost prices.
    Photography has always been "technology based": film, and even plates and daguerrotype are technology as well, and even advanced technology.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    Photography has always been "technology based": film, and even plates and daguerrotype are technology as well, and even advanced technology.
    Agreed! A modern digital camera, whether it a traditional DSLR or mirrorless camera or a camera phone; these are all essentially computers that have been designed to capture images.

Real Name
    Ted

With all due respect to Trevor, I'm not convinced that the link told us much new.

However, at almost 79 years old, I do recall with some fondness my Praktica MTL3 + Zeiss-Jena Pancolar manual lens. The only electrons in there flowed between the photocell and the exposure needle in the viewfinder, and then only if I pushed a lever.

The author harps on the bucket analogy a bit, whereas some folks here probably know that said buckets start "full up" and drain down during exposure ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 24th January 2019 at 05:03 PM.

Real Name
    Shawn

There will always be some type of photography perhaps better called image making. What it morphs into is a matter of speculation however in my opinion it will be market driven. The news papers are history at the moment but I believe that we will see that medium come back in another form such as electronic news papers - who knows, but something other than a cell phone screen. What ever form the final image takes it will require a human brain to envision and create it. Don't count image making out just yet.

Real Name
    Richard

There will always be a fascination in looking at images. A hundred and fifty years ago you could have browsed all the photos in the world over a rainy weekend. Now photo repositories are in danger of collapsing into black holes. The oldest technology has the greatest chance of survival; I have old family photos taken over a hundred years ago. In a hundred years time they will still be easy to view. But what of all the digital photos I have accumulated? In a hundred years time you would have to go to a museum to find anything capable of viewing them. They will be held on DVDs, USB memory sticks; copies in the cloud will have long been purged.
    As for digital technology - sensors, glass, IS etc are on a plateau; the laws of physics limit their progress. AI is the next 'big thing'. IMHO it produces pleasing images at the expense of accuracy - reminding me of the old adage "Never choose women or cloth by candle light".
    I'll spend my remaining days enjoying the memories my images remind me of.