Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: body and lens protection

Real Name
    Daniel

body and lens protection

I frequently take my camera on hikes, I usually stuff it into my backpack with a jacket wrapped around it. I am wondering what you guys use to protect your gear when you are packing it.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: body and lens protection

Actually, wrapping your camera in your jacket would be a pretty effective way to protect it. I couldn't do that, though! At my age, I would get cold and forget that the camera was wrapped in my jacket

An Optech Lens Wrap would solve your problem
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...QAvD_BwE&smp=y

However a DIY wrap is easy to make if you have any sewing skills at all... Here are a bunch of ideas...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY+...w=1463&bih=759

Real Name
    Dan

I use a camera backpack that has a separate section for the camera gear. However, I’ve never found one that I enitirely like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I now use a Think Tank camera backpack, which uses a similar approach to what Dan has mentioned. Previously I used a Kata backpack (Kata was bought out by Manfrotto, and their designs went down hill in my view).

Real Name
    Daniel

I use a Dakine mission 25L pack for storing my cameras at home and transporting it around. But when I'm out hiking/trail running I usually have my 16L vestpack or backpacking I have my 65L pack. I tend to carry enough supplies to be selfsufficent incase thing go awry on the trails do I dont want to damage the camera body nor the lens, I also wouldlike to protect it from sweat. Ill see if I can have a frient whip up some DIY covers.

Real Name
    Denny

Personally, I only keep the spare lenses and accessories in the backpack. The camera is on the strap available for use.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Danimal View Post
    I frequently take my camera on hikes, I usually stuff it into my backpack with a jacket wrapped around it. I am wondering what you guys use to protect your gear when you are packing it.
    It depends on what kind of gear. How long a lens are you talking about. Short lenses are much easier to deal with. Longer lenses need more care to avoid putting stress on the mount. For longer lenses a camera backpack is more important. Shorter lenses/smaller cameras can just be dropped in a pack as you described with little worry.