Real Name
    Dan

window, old mill

C&C welcome, as always

window, old mill

Real Name
    David

Re: window, old mill

I like this, Dan... the reflections in the window, the light on the floor from the window opposite, the hint of the table inside, the overall composition. There is so much to see, but I was surprised that my eye was initially drawn to the green on the right hand side.

The windows are pretty clean for an old mill!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Interesting and effective image Dan. The highlights we see through the window certain grabs the viewer and draws them into the image.

Based on the fact that no one has thrown rocks through the glass, I would guess that this old mill has been well treated and a historic site?

Real Name
    Bruce

Dan. nice photograph.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks, all. David, that's a helpful point. The wood was very flat and featureless, and the processing I used to bring out texture and a bit of color did highlight the green. Perhaps I should pull the saturation of the greens down a bit. Manfred, it's in a park, so it is protected to some degree, but on the opposite wall is a shattered window (the one you can see through this window). I have a shot of that I am working on.

Real Name
    John

Hi Dan, I don”t often do critique, here’s my personal take, hope it helps but it’s just my view and we all see things differently.
    Your exposure is good, highlights well handled but I think the image consists of about 2/3rds wood panelling which I think is too much as the window contains most interest, so a tighter crop for me.
    A lower camera angle might have centered the far window in the near window a little more and with a tighter crop produced a more symmetrical shot.
    Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Dan

John,

thanks for commenting.

I have to admit that I didn't think about the vertical framing in terms of compositional elements like the placement of the other window until you posted. This was the one perspective I could get--raising my tripod to clear vegetation, standing on a rise above the level of the window. With more flexibility, it would have been nice to try a few.

Re horizontal framing: I didn't want it centered. However, the relative featurelessness of the siding may make having this much of it in the photo a problem, and having this much does bring in the green that David mentioned. I'll play around with some alternative crops.

thanks again for commenting.

Dan

Real Name
    Ole

Just my two cents worth. How about a slight crop LHS, thereby strengthening the beautiful green RHS?
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting idea. Thanks. I’ll play with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk