Thread: Post Box

Real Name
    James

Post Box

Ok, I have a ‘thing’ about objects that are still in service, ageing, ‘gracefully’ but still absolutely functional.

I am some how entranced by the way they age, but continue to be useful.

Back in September I was on an extended hunt across the West of Ireland for stained glass, and on a stop at Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo I noticed this Post Box.

Keeping it simple, The E R on the box refers not to Queen Elizabeth II, but to King Edward VII, Queen Victoria’s son who died in 1910, a good while before Ireland achieved independence from Great Britain.

So, despite establishment of the Irish Free State in 1922, and independence in 1937, the post box is still in service today, and has not been replaced.

It has aged with dignity, still (apparently), is in use 100+ years on, and to me at least, is a thing of great beauty!

Post Box

Post Box

C&C welcome

Real Name
    George

Re: Post Box

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Ok, I have a ‘thing’ about objects that are still in service, ageing, ‘gracefully’ but still absolutely functional.

I am some how entranced by the way they age, but continue to be useful.

Back in September I was on an extended hunt across the West of Ireland for stained glass, and on a stop at Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo I noticed this Post Box.

Keeping it simple, The E R on the box refers not to Queen Elizabeth II, but to King Edward VII, Queen Victoria’s son who died in 1910, a good while before Ireland achieved independence from Great Britain.

So, despite establishment of the Irish Free State in 1922, and independence in 1937, the post box is still in service today, and has not been replaced.

It has aged with dignity, still (apparently), is in use 100+ years on, and to me at least, is a thing of great beauty!

Post Box

Post Box

C&C welcome
    Wonderful. I like those shots. Do you've a shot with more environment in it? For me it's a little to isolated.
    What does ER means. I think Edward and something like Rex. Just guessing. Funny the Irish didn't replace it.

George

Real Name
    John

“R” usually means Rex for king or Regina for Queen, in this case, Edward Rex, ER. Current UK boxes have E||R for Queen Elizabeth II. If/when Charles succeeds her perhaps CR instead of CIIIR ..?

Real Name
    James

Hi George, I specifically, took the picture focusing on the box, its textures, and colour. I cropped the image approximately 10% to to further emphasise this.

The pillar the box is mounted in, is the right hand corner of a wall around the old post office building, which I think is now closed, but retained as a 'heritage' feature of the town. (quite a common practice in Ireland with buildings generally).
    Despite it's relative antiquity, the building itself is not particularly interesting, and frankly rather drab.

Real Name
    John

Nicely seen and captured.