Thread: Eye Level Shot of Dogs - Example

Real Name
    Richard

Eye Level Shot of Dogs - Example

I have mentioned before that shooting from a bit of a distance with a longer focal length lens will reduce the angle between camera and dog allowing more of a eye level view.

I shot this with an 85mm lens on a crop sensor Sony A6500 which is equivalent to 127.5 on a full frame camera. I was sitting on my desk chair so I would guess that the camera was about four feet above the floor. Sam was about eight feet from the camera (this is a full uncropped image) and the fact that I was shooting from above Sam is not readily noticeable as it would be if I had a 30mm lens on the camera and tried to fill the frame with Sam from the height I was shooting.

If I remembered my high school geometry, I could state the difference in viewing angle. However, since I don't remember a darn bit of geometry; suffice it to say that the angle between camera and Sam is more acute giving the illusion that I was closer to Sam's level than I actually was...

Real Name
    John

Re: Eye Level Shot of Dogs - Example

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks John, it was my very first shot with the used Sony 85mm f/1.8 I just snared from Adorama at an unbelievably low price. I have fallen love with this lens already...

Very well done, indeed.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I don't know Richard. This shot does not look like an eye level shot to me. You appears to be shooting from well above eye level.

Real Name
    Greg

It's a good image Richard you have captured nice detail in the dog's eyes but I agree with Manfred, the dog appears to be looking up at you. That's not a problem with the image per se, only that you said your intention was to shoot at eye level.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I have mentioned before that shooting from a bit of a distance with a longer focal length lens will reduce the angle between camera and dog allowing more of a eye level view.

I shot this with an 85mm lens on a crop sensor Sony A6500 which is equivalent to 127.5 on a full frame camera. I was sitting on my desk chair so I would guess that the camera was about four feet above the floor. Sam was about eight feet from the camera (this is a full uncropped image) and the fact that I was shooting from above Sam is not readily noticeable as it would be if I had a 30mm lens on the camera and tried to fill the frame with Sam from the height I was shooting.

If I remembered my high school geometry, I could state the difference in viewing angle. However, since I don't remember a darn bit of geometry; suffice it to say that the angle between camera and Sam is more acute giving the illusion that I was closer to Sam's level than I actually was...
    Like Manfred. The dog is looking up. If you would move your camera along the optical ax to the dog and would adjust the focal length so that framing would be the same, all that changes is the relative magnification of the different parts in that frame. The reason why one chooses not for a wide angle as a portrait lens.

George

Real Name
    Arjun Gupta

Richard,
    It is amazing how small differences in your position relative to the eye level of the subject change the perspective of the photo.

Here is an example. The first photo is taken sitting on the ground, the second photo lying on the ground. There is a big difference in the perspective