Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: For Brian...

Real Name
    Richard

For Brian...

I know how interested you are in closeup and macro work...

Perhaps you'd like to take a look at this group of images. Many of these were shot with the Carl Zeiss 135mm f/4 Triotar lens. I suppose that an extension tube set was used for these closeup images.

https://www.juzaphoto.com/galleria.php?l=en&t=1622759

I just purchased a lens like this on eBay for the princely sum of $26.00 (USD) plus a few dollars for shipping. That's about the price of a mediocre quality filter... According to the serial number of this lens, it was produced in the Carl Zeiss East German Plant at Jena, under Russian Occupation, probably right around 1947 or 1948 That's an eighty year old lens!

An adapter for my Sony A6500 will set me back less than ten dollars as will a set of dumb extension tubes...

Nice thing about this lens is that, in contrast to many vintage lenses, it is really light weight. I have seen weight estimates from 273 to 360 grams. I know that I am going to have fun with the lens when I get it and hopefully I can produce some artistic images with it.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th November 2018 at 06:39 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

Re: For Brian...

Wow! These are superb, Richard.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The Triotar was made by the East German Zeiss Jena works in the 1950s, so these shots use a lens that is a design that is at least 65 years old. It was very much overshadowed by the vastly superior (usability as well as mechanical and optical quality) Zeiss Sonnar that followed it.

Real Name
    Richard

You are so right Manfred...

In reality, one either likes the various renditions from these lenses or doesn't. I like the swirly rendition of the Russian Helios lenses but, many folks do not. IMO, it is fun playing with old glass like the Triotar and of course the Sonnar and many others...

I think that the optical flaws of some of these old lenses are what gives them a distinct character. If I were looking for top notch sharpness and lack of optical flaws, I would certainly use one of my modern L lenses. I wouldn't think about these old vintage lenses if practical photography was my aim...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th November 2018 at 06:23 PM.

Real Name
    Ole

Stunning images, Richard, thanks for the link.
    Cheers Ole