Thread: Useing a Light Box Outside Rather than maybe Window Light

Real Name
    Russell

Useing a Light Box Outside Rather than maybe Window Light

Hi, Have been looking online for anyone that uses a Light Box/Cube outside in natural light as you would do inside with window light to help defuse the light not to shade a plant/flower from the wind (if that make sence) have not been able to find anything at all except Light Box and Flash or continuous lighting indoors. Thankyou, Russ.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Useing a Light Box Outside Rather than maybe Window Light

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, Have been looking online for anyone that uses a Light Box/Cube outside in natural light as you would do inside with window light to help defuse the light not to shade a plant/flower from the wind (if that make sense) have not been able to find anything at all except Light Box and Flash or continuous lighting indoors. Thankyou, Russ.
    That would be 'diffuse', Russ ... I would make an 8-gage stainless steel wire ** frame and magic-tape tracing paper onto it ... or wait for an overcast day ...

** used in model airplanes.

I have done the same for indoor work using cook's aluminum sheet instead of wire. 8-gage is approx 1/8 diameter (SWG), a bit thinner for USA Birmingham gage.

Real Name
    Richard

A few years ago I tried a commercially available lightbox outside but, it didn't seem to do very well. If I remember, it cast too much of a shadow rather than diffusing the light.

I would think that using some material that would diffuse the light less than the cloth of the commercial box might be the ticket. However, I use a couple of small and very cheap studio strobes indoors with my light box.

Lots of photographers look down at light boxes or light cubes but, for fast work, especially in shooting multiple items for Internet sales on eBay or Craigslist, it is fast and effective.

I have about twenty or thirty items waiting to be sold. I will be setting up within the next day or so to shoot them.

BTW: I think that this is the venue in which the Canon 6D2 really shines by virtue of its fully articulating screen with touch and shoot capability. Great for focus stacking also...

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Tankyou for the replies.
    Richard, I have a large commercially made lightbox and have tried indoors with both flash and constant light and yet always find that window light gives the better results but here where I live outside when bright is VERY BRIGHT, not wanting to photograph for online sales more for still life so really just looking for some pointers to tone down the harsh sunlight. Thankyou, Russ.

Real Name
    John

Have you considered a large umbrella?